Bertrand delighted to be back with City
City loan recruit Ryan Bertrand sets off for the European Under-19 Championships today in confident mood - on the international and domestic front. Bertrand is in the England squad of 18 flying out to the Czech Republic, where they will face the host country on Monday in their opening game in Jablonec.
City loan recruit Ryan Bertrand sets off for the European Under-19 Championships today in confident mood - on the international and domestic front.
Bertrand is in the England squad of 18 flying out to the Czech Republic, where they will face the host country on Monday in their opening game in Jablonec. Italy and Greece are the other sides in Group B with England.
And while the tournament will be the only thing on the Chelsea left-back's mind for the next fortnight, he is only four weeks away from the start of the new Championship campaign with the Canaries.
Bertrand, who made 20 appearances for City last season, has signed on loan again until January 1, and said it was not a difficult decision to return to Carrow Road.
You may also want to watch:
“It was quite a comfortable and easy decision to go back to the club. It's a family club - everything from the players to the management, the staff to the fans was really positive. It's a pleasure to play for them again,” he said. “In football, one of the main things about going out on loan is it helps you mature really quickly - having to deal with life experiences.
“You develop more. You learn different things to what you would playing reserve team games or just a few first team games - being out there playing for points and playing with people when it's their careers, it really makes you grow up.”
- 1 Iwan Roberts: My one regret over Canaries' 2004 promotion
- 2 Frankfurt speculation just the start of uncertain period for City boss
- 3 Farke linked with Bundesliga vacancy
- 4 'I wanted to bring Norwich back' - Emi reveals why he stayed at City
- 5 Can City seal just their third Carrow Road promotion?
- 6 PRESSER LIVE: City v Bournemouth - Emi fit, Rupp out for the season
- 7 City boss has found his job 'even harder' than title-winning season
- 8 Another goal for Drmic - could City striker earn Euros recall?
- 9 'We want to correct what happened' - City ace on top-flight aims
- 10 'That's the bottom line' - Dowell clear on his City priorities
Bertrand, 18, said he was fighting fit for England duty and the season ahead despite a summer break.
“I've been keeping on the move all the time. I have been away but I made sure I kept on my toes all the time,” he said.
Bertrand's former loan colleague at Norwich, Arsenal's Kieran Gibbs, is also in the England Under-19 squad. England's opening game against the Czech Republic will be shown live on Eurosport today (4.30pm kick-off).