Billericay 1, King's Lynn 3

Injury hit Lynn staged a stirring second-half fight back to edge their FA Trophy second qualifying round replay.

Billericay 1, King's Lynn 3: Injury hit Lynn staged a stirring second-half fight back to edge their FA Trophy second qualifying round replay.

Jamie Dormer nudged the Ryman Premier hosts ahead in a tight first half. Ben Chapman and Greg Crane's thunderous free kick pegged Billericay back before Michael Frew's late penalty clinched a home tie against Conference South leaders Eastbourne Borough on November 24.

Lynn skipper Mark Warren (calf) failed a pre-match fitness test while Craig Fleming (ankle) and Charlie Defty (eye injury) were also unavailable. Mark Camm was redeployed alongside Crane in central defence.

Midfielder Shaun Carey made his first competitive start since a double leg break against Corby 14 months ago while Andrew Fisk replaced Camm. Jack Defty and Matt Nolan formed a new look front pairing with John Turner (calf) and Joe Francis (knock) also sidelined for the depleted visitors.

You may also want to watch:

Lynn boss Keith Webb kept in-form striker Danny Bloomfield in reserve after the predator limped off in Saturday's 2-2 draw.

Billericay's two goal hero Joe Flack also watched on from the home dug out ahead of the Blues glamour FA Cup tie at New Lodge against League One highfliers Swansea.

Most Read

Scott Howie outwitted Bradley Wood-Garness after the striker raced clear in a low key start but Dormer arrived on cue to fire Billericay in front from the lively Wood-Garness's cut back.

Paul Abbott hacked wildly behind before Chapman was cautioned in first half stoppage time for an ugly lunge on George Lay. Phil Mulryne lofted over on the restart then Darren Blewitt scrambled away with Defty lurking.

Fisk miscued after patient build up play from the visitors as Lynn began to dominate. Chapman dragged Lynn back into the contest on 58 minutes - powering into the box to unleash a low angled drive past Billy McMahon.

Crane's howitzer completed the comeback just past the hour mark with a skimming 25 yard free kick - the big defender racing away to celebrate with the knot of die-hard travelling supporters.

Billericay danger man Flack entered the fray for the final quarter. Dormer finally tested the redundant Howie from long range before the former Scottish U21 international clutched Dormer's back post header.

Ryan Maxwell's rash shove on Fisk avoided a tense finale - Frew calmly sending McMahon the wrong way from the penalty spot to seal the tie.

Billericay: McMahon, Siemanshia, Kerrigan, Blewitt, Heffer, Dormer, Abbott (Flack 67), Hunter, Wood-Garness (Burbridge 80), Boot, Lay (Maxwell 60). Subs (not used): Pegg, Buckfield.

Bookings: Kerrigan, Dormer.

Goal: Dormer (22).

King's Lynn: Howie, West, Crane, Camm, Chapman, Frew, Mulryne, Carey, Fisk, Nolan, Defty (Heath-Preston 90). Subs (not used): Bloomfield, Lake, Murray.

Bookings: Chapman, Defty, Frew.

Goals: Chapman (58), Crane (63), Frew (75).

Referee: I Gosling.

Att: 325.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus