Birmingham City boss Harry Redknapp considering signing released Norwich City defender Sebastien Bassong
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Sebastien Bassong could soon be back in the Championship – and potentially facing Norwich City.
The 31-year-old defender was one of seven senior players released as the Canaries reduced their wage bill this summer but is yet to find a new club.
He is now training with Birmingham City thanks to his relationship with manager Harry Redknapp, who he played under at Tottenham Hotspur – who head to Carrow Road on September 9 after the upcoming international break.
“Seb played for me, he’s a great lad and he’s going to come in and get himself fit ready to play somewhere,” Redknapp told the Birmingham Mail.
“He’s on a free, he’s a good lad and a good player who played for me at Tottenham. He was player of the year at Norwich two years ago (actually four years ago) and he’s still a very good player in my opinion.”
Bassong made 135 appearances after joining from Spurs for £4m in 2012, scoring five goals, and was named player of the season at the end of his first season as he helped Chris Hughton steer City to 11th place in the Premier League.
You may also want to watch:
He dropped in and out of favour after that campaign though, being left out by Neil Adams in the unsuccessful fight against relegation in 2014 but brought back from a loan spell at Watford by Alex Neil in January 2015 and playing a key role in promotion back to the top flight.
The former Cameroon international centre-back made 36 appearances in 2015/16 as Norwich were relegated to the Championship but played just 13 times last season, featuring in just one of the last 24 matches.
Since being released he has been spotted training at a park in Hethersett, also posting videos of his fitness work while still in Norfolk, after reports of a move to Turkish side Bursaspor falling through.
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 2 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 3 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 4 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 6 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 7 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 8 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 9 No Pukki no problem for Canaries as they move seven points clear at the top
- 10 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
Birmingham are looking for defensive reinforcements after seeing their chase of Bristol City centre-back Aiden Flint fail to pay off.