Bloaters are denied in the final seconds
Great Yarmouth 1, Ramsgate 1: The Bloaters were seconds away from their first win of the pre-season when Ramsgate substitute Joe Taylor headed home from a corner to secure a draw for the Ryman Division One South visitors.
Great Yarmouth 1, Ramsgate 1
The Bloaters were seconds away from their first win of the pre-season when Ramsgate substitute Joe Taylor headed home from a corner to secure a draw for the Ryman Division One South visitors.
Craig Roberts had given Yarmouth a second half lead, heading home a Fernando Vide cross in the 58th minute.
“It was a good workout against a very good side,” said Bloaters' boss Paul Tong. “I thought we matched them much of the time and were better in some areas.
You may also want to watch:
“I'm disappointed with the goal, of course, so near the end - but these games are all about gaining match fitness and giving players opportunities.
“We had another debutant in Ollie McCarthy, a local find from Reedham, gave first games of the summer to youngsters George Brooks and Charlie McAra, and we were also pleased to have Toby Gorbould back.”
- 1 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 2 'You get relegated playing the Norwich way' - Old boy Bruce on Magpies' sorry plight
- 3 Premier League here we come for City chief Farke
- 4 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' spirited 1-0 Championship win against Derby County
- 5 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Derby County win
- 6 Record-breaking week continues for Canaries
- 7 'Champagne on ice' - City set for Carrow Road celebration next week
- 8 'We showed Norwich too much respect' - Rooney on Rams' reverse
- 9 Paddy Davitt verdict: Wazza and City's great leap forward
- 10 ‘Ninety points is usually enough’ - Dowell buzzing for City’s big day
The game was a return of last summer's meeting down in Kent when Yarmouth narrowly lost 3-2.
Early chances for Ramsgate saw a great save by Michael Hilton before Yarmouth fought back and a deep free kick from Jonny King was put out for a corner.
Two Andy Hayton free kicks brought gasps from the crowd but ended behind. Just before the break a terrific tackle from Olly Savage saved a desperate situation.
The second half saw no let up in the action on a hot afternoon and Gavin Norman might have scored on the resumption when Luke Fell delivered a good centre. Norman then took a fine pass from Jake Reed but was tackled in the act of shooting.
Then came Roberts' goal, and Yarmouth now dominated the game with the Ramsgate 'keeper bringing off a fantastic double save midway in the half as Yarmouth attacked in numbers. Then came that moment of slackness which gave Taylor his chance in the 89th minute. Yarmouth's final home friendly is on Saturday when Grantham Town visit The Wellesley.
t Wroxham followed up their 1-1 draw with Ridgeons League champions Needham Market by beating Diss Town 2-0 at Trafford Park on Saturday.
The Yachtsmen, who have now won four and drawn one of their five first team friendlies, conclude their pre-season programme on Saturday with a home against Zamoretto Central club Hitchin Town.
t Norwich United continued their pre-season programme with a 0-0 home draw against Barking. They are at home again against Stowmarket tomorrow.
t Gorleston beat Blofield 2-0 in the final of their annual Sailor Brown Memorial Tournament with goals from Gary Williams and John Bell. The club's under-11s won the youth tournament.