Bloaters are taught lesson by the Blues
Great Yarmouth Town 1, Ipswich Town Reserves 4: A hat-trick from Tony Eastman put a young Ipswich team on the path to a convincing victory on Saturday.
Great Yarmouth Town 1, Ipswich Town Reserves 4
A hat-trick from Tony Eastman put a young Ipswich team on the path to a convincing victory on Saturday.
The Bloaters had the upper hand in the early stages when Andy Hayton produced a wonderful piece of skill before sending a dipping shot just over the Ipswich bar on 20 minutes.
Town came right back at Yarmouth however with Reggie Lambe and David Cawley going close before the Suffolk side got their noses in front in the 27th minute.
A corner was not cleared properly and although Bloaters' keeper Michael Hilton did well to parry a close-range shot, Eastman was on hand to fire home the rebound.
Eastman scored his second after 42 minutes when a high cross defeated Hilton's outstretched arms at the near post.
- 1 Norwich City to change shirt sponsor for Preston clash
- 2 'It’s definitely something to build on' - Preston striker on trip to Norwich
- 3 City duo nominated for monthly Championship awards
- 4 Smith takeaways: Cantwell boost; Mind takeover; JT visit
- 5 PRESSER: Norwich City v Preston - Cantwell back
- 6 Chris Sutton: It's time to start giving Dean Smith more credit
- 7 Ian Clarke: Anniversary reminds me how being a Norwich fan is a real adventure
- 8 Remember when Norwich City steamrolled Carlisle in 1971?
- 9 'Take that and run' - City fans react to Reading point
- 10 Smith takeaways: Reading reflections, possession frustrations and Cantwell absence
Ipswich then added two more goals within a minute after the break to put the game firmly beyond doubt.
Gareth Palmer conceded a free kick just outside the box in the 72nd minute which Alan Quinn struck directly past Hilton for a fine strike. Then Eastman completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot a minute later.
Stewart Roach scored possibly the goal of the game with 10 minutes left for a Yarmouth consolation though. Palmer went on a run down the right, and centred for Roach to head back past keeper Ian McClaughlin.
t Yarmouth: Hilton, King, Bell, Palmer, Fell, Miller, Vide, Smith, Roach, Reed, Hayton. Subs: Norman, Ferguson, Durrant, Thompson, Wright, Kemp, Jessup.
t Ipswich: McClaughlin, Jones, Dunbur, Cawley, McKewan, Eastman, Edwards, Quinn, Lisbie, Clarke, Lamb. Subs: Murray, Griffiths, Burns.
t Attendance: 155