Bloaters, Greens find net
RIDGEONS LEAGUE DIVISION ONE: Goals either side of half-time by Jake Reed set Great Yarmouth Town on the road to opening day 3-1 First Division success at Ipswich Wanderers. The Bloaters struck with devastating force seconds from the interval.
Goals either side of half-time by Jake Reed set Great Yarmouth Town on the road to opening day 3-1 First Division success at Ipswich Wanderers.
The Bloaters struck with devastating force seconds from the interval. Reed pounced on a pass through the middle, shook off the attentions of a defender and calmly stroked the ball past the advancing keeper. And barely 30 seconds into the second half he again coolly shot home from Stewart Roach's pass.
Ipswich pulled one back after 80 minutes from a penalty but captain Adey Ager quickly headed Yarmouth's third.
Gorleston beat visitors Long Melford 3-1 with a brace from ex-Beccles striker Neil Hurren and a strike from Luke Goreham.
You may also want to watch:
It took an 81st minute goal on debut by Jake Burton to give Diss Town a winning start to the season at March.
A fine display of goalkeeping from the Hares' Chris Anker denied a Tangerines side which introduced six new signings.
- 1 Could Canaries benefit from Chelsea appointing Tuchel?
- 2 Former Arsenal and Norwich midfielder set to sign for Saints
- 3 Soto's striker instinct is clear - now he needs to prove it at Norwich City
- 4 Arsenal end chase in City star with Real Madrid signing
- 5 Paddy Davitt: City's bold call and the status quo
- 6 'He's been great for me' - Hanley grateful to Farke for making him a better player
- 7 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
- 8 'Lots to learn ' - Busy spell continues as City striker makes Swindon debut
- 9 The story of Alex Neil and Jordan Hugill's trainers
- 10 'You just want more' - McLean settled at City and focused on top-flight return
The only goal of the game came in the 81st minute when a corner was punched out to Jason Hunt who sent the ball out wide for Chris Collins-Reed to centre. Burton nipped in front of the keeper and his header finally beat Anker.
Swaffham Town lost 3-0 at Whitton, a scoreline which did not necessarily reflect the true flow of the game.
In the 23rd minute a poorly defended free-kick was punched by keeper Lee Brookes into his own net. Further goals followed in the 63rd and 89th minutes.
Godmanchester Rovers 2, FC Clacton 2; Gorleston 3, Long Melford 1; Halstead Town 1, Brantham Athletic 1; Ipswich Wanderers 1, Great Yarmouth Town 3; March Town United 0, Diss Town 1; Stowmarket Town 0, Downham Town 2; Whitton United 3, Swaffham Town 0.
Brantham v Clacton, Diss v Yarmouth, Gorleston v Fakenham, Ipswich Wands v Stowmarket, March v Godmanchester, Team Bury v Whitton.
Saffron Walden v Halstead.