Bloomfield's double claims another scalp
Terry Lynes Lowestoft Town 2, Cambridge United 1: Lowestoft continued to punch above their weight as, three days after holding Colchester United to a scoreless draw, they came from behind to defeat Blue Square Bet Conference National club Cambridge United by the odd goal of three.
Lowestoft Town 2, Cambridge United 1
Lowestoft continued to punch above their weight as, three days after holding Colchester United to a scoreless draw, they came from behind to defeat Blue Square Bet Conference National club Cambridge United by the odd goal of three.
As part of a deal struck when Christy Finch moved to the Abbey Stadium last season, the full-timers started the game with a full first team.
You may also want to watch:
It was not surprising then, that having been the first to threaten when Adam Marriott cut inside Adam Smith only to shoot into the side netting, Cambridge took the lead in the ninth minute when Andy Reynolds failed to hold a left wing corner to allow Wayne Gray to volley home from close range.
Jamie Forshaw went close to levelling the scores, but his 20 yard rising drive just cleared the bar.
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 2 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 3 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 4 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 6 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 7 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 8 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 9 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 10 No Pukki no problem for Canaries as they move seven points clear at the top
Cambridge fielded a second complete eleven for the second half but it was the three Blues substitutions - Danny Bloomfield, Craig Bussens and Jamie Godbold - that swung the game Lowestoft's way early in the second period.
In the 51st minute Bloomfield reached the byline before crossing into the middle, where Bussens knocked the ball back for McGlone to back heel into the net.
Three minutes later Lowestoft took the lead from the penalty spot. Godbold's cross from the left was handled by Kevin Roberts and Bloomfield sent the keeper the wrong way from the penalty spot.
Lowestoft continued to match their opponents but the game became more disjointed as the Blues made numerous substitutions.
Cambridge asserted some late pressure and were close to snatching a late equaliser as Reynolds' kicked clearance rebounded off Robbie Willmott but just wide of the post.
t Lowestoft Town: Reynolds, Cave-Brown, Smith, Ainsley, Crane, Haynes-Brown, Mitchell, Fisk, McGlone, Forshaw, Francis, Substitutes: Bloomfield, Halliday, Godbold, Marsden, Poppy, Bussens, Plaskett, Hunn, Gaughran, Finch.
t Cambridge United: 1st Half - Brown, Thorpe, Coulson, Saah, Jennings, Russell, Miller, Berry, Patrick, Gray, Marriott.
2nd half - Naisbitt, Roberts, Hudson, Partridge, Coakley, Eades, Carden, Ives, Platt, Willmott, Wright.
t Attendance: 542.