Blues hang on after McGee double

RIDGEONS LEAGUE: Lowestoft Town may be nine points head at the top of the Ridgeons League Premier Division today, but they had to battle every inch of the way for the 3-2 home win over Woodbridge.

Dereham Town fired a warning shot across the bows of Premier Division leaders Lowestoft as they climbed from third place into second with a 3-2 win at mid-table Woodbridge.

The hosts led 2-1 at the interval with goals from Luke Read and Liam Jaques.

But Nicky Howell, who scored Dereham's first half goal, stabbed home a late winner to seal Town's stirring second half fightback.

The results saw them leapfrog Wivenhoe, to go second, nine points behind Lowestoft.

You may also want to watch:

An incident-packed game saw Woodbridge's LiamScopes sent off early in the second period after striking Sam Willis in a midfield scuffle.

DannyBeaumont rifled home a 65th-minute penalty after Olly Willis had been upended before Howell applied the finishing touch with a scrambled effort seven minutes from full time.

Most Read

Lowestoft's attempt to turn the title race into a procession was undermined as they were kept in check by a Harwich and Parkeston side fighting for their Premier Division lives.

The 32 points gulf between the teams counted for nothing as Harwich belied their second-from-bottom position to twice battle back from behind for a deserved share of the spoils.

After falling behind to a 19th-minute strike from Jamie Godbold, Harwich, under the new stewardship of Mark Morsley, hit back a minute before the break when Matt Stace's ferocious 40- yard effort left Rix grasping at thin air.

Midway through the second half the Blues restored their lead when Gary McGee's shot from 12 yards squirmed under Wootten.

With 15 minutes remaining Harwich's Matt Carmichael broke free from his marker and buried the ball.

Kirkley produced a masterclassand remain unbeaten at home in the league after a thrilling 3-1 victory over second-placed Wivenhoe Town. Nathan Stone set up Chris Henderson for the opener and Justin Fox teed up Wivenhoe old boy Allicon Blake for a simple tap-in. Blake then made it 3-0 with a header. In a rare breakaway Aaron Churchyard reduced the defcit.

Wroxham paid the price for profligacy after their failure to take the lead in a first half they dominated when Stuart Cobb gave visitors Wisbech the lead eight minutes into the second period.

Manager Damian Hilton's substitutions paid dividends as a free-kick from ex-Canary Alex Notman,fell to Gavin Crane, who netted from close range. In a frantic finale the Fenmen had to hack the ball off the line twice to preserve their point.

Lee Hunter netted twice as Division One form team Gorleston disposed of second-placed Hadleigh 4-1. Hunter and Pete Lambert put the Greens 2-0 up before the visitors hit back before the break. Goals in the dying seconds from Hunter and Harry Maddison sealed Gorleston's fourth consecutive victory.

Norwich United eased their relegation worries with a 2-1 win at fellow basement battlers Whitton United.

Bradley Hoffman hit the 89th-minute winner after AaronSheppard's 75th-minute leveller for the hosts, who trailed to Keith Hetherington's 28th-minute header.

After taking a 20th-minute lead through Sam Bryant, Thetford slumped to a 2-1 defeat at Clacton.

Second-from-bottom Swaffham's woes continued as they were beaten 2-0 by Debenham. First half goals from Stuart Jopling and James Heathcote meant no worries for the visitors, who needed two injury-time goals to bag the points when the teams met three weeks ago.

Fakenham's winless misery deepened with a 2-0 defeat at Stowmarket.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus