Blues show swagger as Wembley beckons

Phil Banyard RIDGEONS LEAGUE: Lowestoft warmed up for the FA Vase final in style, winning their final home match before their big Wembley date 4-0 against Walsham-le-Willows. The Blues swept their visitors aside with four goals in the first 36 minutes.

Phil Banyard

Lowestoft warmed up for the FA Vase final in style, winning their final home match before their big Wembley date 4-0 against Walsham-le-Willows.

The Blues swept their visitors aside with four goals in the first 36 minutes.

Jamie Godbold's double set the ball rolling and the winger could even afford to miss a penalty as Lowestoft strolled to victory. Darren Cockrill and a Nathan Clarke own goal completed the scoring for the hosts.

You may also want to watch:

As planned, the Blues were also able to give goalkeeper Andy Reynolds a 34-minute run-out as he bids to be fit for Wembley following a dislocated hip.

Kirkley & Pakefield, were also in rampant form, hitting six without reply at bottom club Ipswich Wanderers.

Most Read

Nathan Stone put Kirkley ahead on 18 minutes, before a spell of three goals in seven minutes just before half-time decided the game.

First, Scott Manning made it 2-0 after 34 minutes and Stone rammed home his second three minutes later. Stone then completed a first half hat-trick, slotting home Kirkley's fourth on 41 minutes.

Wanderers defender Owen Symonds was sent off in the second half for a second yellow card and from the resulting free-kick, Lee Hunter fired in Kirkley's fifth.

Hunter then completed the rout, beating the keeper from six yards out.

Kirkley remain behind Dereham on goal difference after the Magpies won 3-2 at Haverhill.

Haverhill went ahead in the fifth minute through Jamie Thurlbourne, but Dereham pulled level 12 minutes later as Sam Willis produced a measured finish.

The home side went in at the break 2-1 up, however, after Paul Shaw scored on the stroke of half-time.

Danny Beaumont restored parity in the 75th minute and Robbie Harris scored the winner from the penalty spot with five minutes remaining.

Norwich United were held to a 1-1 draw at home by struggling Newmarket.

Nathan Page gave Norwich an 11th minute lead, but Jon Olive equalised for the Jockeys following a corner.

Danny Stopp, on his full debut, almost won it for Norwich late on, but his header was cleared off the line.

Wroxham's stuttering finish to the season continued with a 2-1 defeat at Woodbridge.

The Yachtsmen, assured of a third place finish, brought in several players from their reserves side, who won the Anglian Combination Premier Division title.

Luke Read put Woodbridge in front after Wroxham keeper Andrew Jackson spilled the ball. Danny White pulled the Yachtsmen level five minutes later following a goalmouth scramble.

Woodbridge netted the winner 10 minutes from time when Mark Roper slotted past Jackson.

James McManus struck twice as Wisbech recovered from a goal down to beat Harwich & Parkeston 2-1.

Steve Townes scored early on for Harwich, but McManus equalised on 22 minutes and scored the winner direct from a free-kick soon after the hour mark.

King's Lynn Reserves drew 1-1 at home to Stanway Rovers.

In Division One, promotion-chasing Diss were unable to mark Rob Taylor's first match as manager with a victory as they drew 1-1 at fellow contenders Saffron Walden.

Taylor, who was sacked by Dereham in February, has taken over following the departure of Paul Tong.

And his new team went ahead after just seven minutes on Saturday through Steve Best, only for Ben Riches to equalise for Walden in the second half.

Fakenham's bright end to a sorry season continued with a 3-2 win at home to Godmanchester. The Ghosts twice came from behind, with Nick Haynes and James Bamford on target. Ben Darby then headed the winner in the 89th minute to guarantee the Ghosts finish outside the bottom two.

Great Yarmouth conceded a two-goal lead at home to Halstead to draw 2-2. Mark Thompson and Steve Taylor were the Bloaters' scorers.

Gorleston lost 3-1 at home to Clacton and Downham were beaten 3-0 at Whitton. Thetford drew 2-2 at home to Long Melford, with Ross Bellingham and Simon Mann getting the hosts' goals.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus