‘I’m keeping my options open’ - Norwich City transfer target biding his time this summer
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Luca Connell admits it would be an “honour” to play for Celtic but says he is considering his options before choosing his next move.
The highly-rated Bolton youngster has been linked with a move away from the cash-strapped Trotters this summer with Norwich City also reportedly among potential suitors.
Middlesbrough are also keen on the 18-year-old, who was called up to the Republic of Ireland senior squad this summer.
"Everyone knows Celtic are a massive club," Connell told The Irish Examiner.
"It'd be an honour to represent them if that's what the final decision is. I'm keeping my options open and hopefully I can take the right one in the next few weeks."
You may also want to watch:
Connell extended his contract with Bolton earlier this summer which means he wouldn't be able to be signed for a development fee of £250,000.
Bolton know their resolve to keep the player will be tested though with clubs looking to take advantage of their perilous financial circumstances.
- 1 Soto's loan at Telstar ends as City close on work permit for USA striker
- 2 Norwich City transfer rumours: Buendia 'talks' over summer Arsenal move
- 3 'Best team in the division' - Bristol boss hails City's stylish success
- 4 LOAN WATCH: Success for Heise and recognition for Adshead
- 5 Iwan Roberts: Hugill showed he truly belongs at Norwich City
- 6 Dowell hoping to make more happy FA Cup memories with Canaries
- 7 'We are looking to win the next game' - Barnsley boss on Norwich FA Cup visit
- 8 Patience a virtue for City striker after injury had threatened his Premier League pursuit
- 9 'I didn't know if I'd make it' - City academy product ends over 1,000 days of injury woe
- 10 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-0 Bristol City win
It is understood that Norwich are keen to bring in Connell to be part of their Under-23s set-up next season, which was boosted by the signing of Daniel Adshead earlier this month from Rochdale.
Whether Connell would be willing to bide his time with the younger group remains to be seen but, wherever he ends up, the youngster insists he wants to be playing regular first team football.
"I just want to make sure I'm playing, wherever I go," he added. "I've read in the media that lots of big clubs are interested but I think at this age it's important to be playing. Then hopefully the money will come with that.
"It has been a busy summer. I've had quite a few clubs interested but they come and go by the day. Let's see which ones stick by me.
"I'm sure that my agent will have something sorted out for me one way or the other and with what's best for me."