Bookies offering odds on Norwich duo heading to the World Cup with England
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Could Norwich City have two players in the England squad for next summer’s World Cup?
Bookmakers believe it is possible, with odds being offered on the potential inclusion of Canaries stars Angus Gunn and James Maddison being offered by Sky Bet.
Gunn’s price has come in as short as 16/1 after winning his 10th under-21 cap during a win in Ukraine on Friday and then being elevated to the senior squad.
The Manchester City loanee may have been an unused substitute as Joe Hart was kept busy by the full-strength visitors at Wembley on Tuesday but he is at least in Gareth Southgate’s thinking.
Hart, Jack Butland and Jordan Pickford are all odds-on to be selected however, with Southampton’s former Norwich loanee Fraser Forster (2/1) and Burnley’s Tom Heaton (12/1) considered better bets at this stage.
Maddison is priced at 33/1 after also playing for the U21s last Friday, his fine form for City earning his first call-up for the Young Lions and continuing speculation about imminent Premier League interest in January.
Dele Alli, Raheem Sterling and Adam Lallana lead the way in the odds for the attacking midfield berths however, with former Canaries star Nathan Redmond (12/1) well down the list before 20-year-old Maddison comes into the running.
You may also want to watch:
Norwich academy product Jacob Murphy is also available at 20/1 despite barely featuring in the top flight since his reported £12.5million summer switch to Newcastle, on the back of a successful few months with the England U21s.
At left-back, former City loanee Ryan Bertrand is 1/5 alongside Danny Rose (1/8) to be selected but his former team-mate at Norwich, Kieran Gibbs, is out at 10/1 behind Aaron Cresswell and Luke Shaw in the running.
- 1 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 2 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-1 Cardiff win
- 4 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 5 'As good as I've seen him!' - City fans laud Cantwell performance
- 6 Paddy Davitt verdict: Relentless City operating on a different level
- 7 No Pukki no problem for Canaries as they move seven points clear at the top
- 8 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 9 'We need to pull our weight' - City skipper relieved to end his goal drought
- 10 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
Another City old boy, striker Peter Crouch, is at 33/1 after a resurgence in form with Stoke at the age of 36 and another former Canaries loanee, Harry Kane, is nailed on at 1/20 after his rise to stardom with Spurs.
Meanwhile, 18-year-old Arsenal striker Eddie Nketiah – who broke Norwich hearts on his debut in the Carabao Cup this season – also makes the list, at 40/1.