Bookies put Norwich in a three-way fight
Bryan Gunn's men are locked in a three-way fight to avoid the final remaining Championship relegation place - according to one leading bookmaker. City's latest disappointing 1-0 home defeat to Sheffield Wednesday left the Canaries just a point above third from bottom Notts Forest in the survival scrap.
Bryan Gunn's men are locked in a three-way fight to avoid the final remaining Championship relegation place - according to one leading bookmaker.
City's latest disappointing 1-0 home defeat to Sheffield Wednesday left the Canaries just a point above third from bottom Notts Forest in the survival scrap.
Norwich are a best-priced 11/8 to beat the drop with just five matches remaining in their battle to prevent the club slipping into English football's third tier for the first time in 50 years. Corals have already consigned Charlton (1/100) and crisis club Southampton (1/3) to League One. The Saints' prohibitive odds could harden further after the outcome of today's scheduled Football League board meeting. The south coast club's on going attempts to avoid entering administration and the sanction of a potential ten point league penalty is on the agenda after Southampton's parent company was placed in administration last week.
The Saints play their game in hand on City at Watford tonight knowing victory would move them level on points with Norwich although the Canaries boast a superior goal difference.
You may also want to watch:
Notts Forest is 6/5 to beat the drop with Billy Davies' former European Cup winners hosting the Saints on the final day at the City Ground.
Forest also face Bristol City and Midlands rivals Coventry at home along with trips to play-off chasing Sheffield United and Blackpool over the closing weeks.
- 1 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 2 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-1 Cardiff win
- 4 Paddy Davitt verdict: Relentless City operating on a different level
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 6 Hugill stepped up when Norwich City needed him with determined display at Cardiff
- 7 'We need to pull our weight' - City skipper relieved to end his goal drought
- 8 'As good as I've seen him!' - City fans laud Cantwell performance
- 9 'My journey has been life-changing' - Cantwell reflects on three years since his City debut
- 10 Watch extended highlights of Norwich City's win at Cardiff
Plymouth (5/2) is the third club the bookmakers believe will be in the shake up to avoid joining the one time Premiership duo. Paul Sturrock's side moved four points clear of Forest with a priceless late win at Blackpool on Saturday. The Pilgrims travel to title contenders Birmingham before facing a trio of mid-table sides Coventry, QPR and Doncaster. Argyle finish the season with a Home Park clash against Barnsley.
The Tykes (5/1) are backed to escape with two games in hand on all their immediate relegation rivals - starting with this evening's Yorkshire derby at Sheffield United.
Latest Championship relegation odds (Corals)
1/100 Charlton, 1/3 Southampton, 6/5 Notts Forest, 11/8 Norwich, 5/2 Plymouth, 5/1 Barnsley and Blackpool, 12/1 Doncaster 22/1 bar.