Brace for Canaries striker and first cap for winger as Ireland U21s make winning start in Toulon
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/phcimages.com
Norwich City starlet Adam Idah scored two penalties as the Republic of Ireland Under-21s made a strong start to their Toulon Tournament campaign.
The 18-year-old striker finished the job for the Irish, putting his team 4-1 up against China U21s in the 56th and 82nd minute, before being substituted.
Canaries team-mate Simon Power also won his first U21 cap, coming on in the 77th minute, as Ireland made a winning start to their Group C campaign at the prestigious tournament in France.
Idah was also involved in the build-up to the opening goal, disrupting the Chinese defenders and stepping over a cross from the left from Zak Elbouzedi to allow Aaron Connolly to fire home.
The youngster has been prolific at youth level for his country and has now racked up four goals in his first two appearances at under-21 level.
For Power the involvement brings him back into the international fold after a loan spell in the Dutch second tier with Dordrecht, with the speedy 21-year-old previously capped at under-19 level.
You may also want to watch:
Next up is a game which is expected to be much tougher, against Mexico U21s on Thursday (6.30pm UK time), before facing Bahrain U21s on Sunday (2pm).
The three group winners and the best runner-up will progress to the semi-finals, with England, Brazil, France and Portugal all among the participants.
- 1 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 2 PRESSER LIVE: City v Watford - Hanley, Pukki, Cantwell injury doubts
- 3 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 4 'I am really happy here' - City star Buendia not worried about speculation
- 5 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits
- 6 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
- 7 'Good riddance' - Norwich fans react to European Super League plans
- 8 'Big Six' join European Super League 24 hours after City's promotion
- 9 Six things you might have missed after City's promotion party
- 10 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song