Bright return for Murphy as Nketiah denies Canaries winger the glory at Arsenal
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Josh Murphy was the focus of our Canaries player watch during tonight’s painful League Cup defeat at Arsenal, as the winger played his first game in almost a month after recovering from a broken toe.
6 – Turns Mohamed Elneny and wins a corner.
7 – Mario Vrancic swings a cleared corner back into the box, drops to Murphy but fluffs his shot.
18 – Does well to shovel on a James Husband pass down the left to Vrancic, who fires a poor shot wide.
27 – Boisterous tackle on Olivier Giroud deep in City’s half to unsettle the Frenchman and Husband wins a goal-kick.
You may also want to watch:
33 – Tracks Reiss Nelson well and blocks for a throw.
34 – GOAL – Superb play by James Maddison and a wonderful through-ball sends Murphy clean through, who calmly lifts the ball over Macey for 1-0 and sparks wild celebrations.
- 1 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Bristol City - Pukki still out, Krul set to return
- 2 PROFILE: Raw determination and loan education helped City's incoming left-back emerge at PAOK
- 3 City confirm Dimitris Giannoulis deal
- 4 City legend details Webber conversation before sporting director appointment
- 5 Buendia to Arsenal. Forget it, says City boss Farke
- 6 Spurs loanee Skipp is a centre-back's dream, according to City skipper
- 7 Matt Howman: Do you want Norwich City to be in the Premier League
- 8 Bullish Robins' boss pledges to mix it with Canaries
- 9 City keeper issues injury update
- 10 'He has all the attributes" - Former coach backs Giannoulis to succeed at City
39 – Vrancic spreads to Husband, he plays Murphy in and the winger does well to tee up Nelson Oliveira, who curls a trademark low shot from 15 yards but Macey gets down well to save.
57 – Oliveira free-kick hits the wall, Ivo Pinto floats a cross to the back post but Murphy’s header down is weak and held by Macey.
58 – Skins Mathieu Debuchy and Elneny, low cross is destined to find Oliveira but Macey superbly tips away the low cross.
67 – An unfortunate bounce as he helps out Husband at left-back but tackles back well on Theo Walcott before Francis Coquelin fouls Maddison and is booked.
69 – Sprints past Nelson on the left but Macey claims low cross.
72 – Golden chance to seal the win, Vrancic plays him through and has to take the shot first time with Macey stranded, but hits over the bar from 25 yards.
72 – Replaced by Marco Stiepermann and gets high-fives from all on the City bench.
Verdict: When he left the field, he was a hero, after scoring an eighth goal in the 11th League Cup appearance of his career. Very bright return to action overall but denied the glory by Eddie Nketiah’s double.
Rating: 7.5 out of 10