Bright return for Murphy as Nketiah denies Canaries winger the glory at Arsenal
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Josh Murphy was the focus of our Canaries player watch during tonight’s painful League Cup defeat at Arsenal, as the winger played his first game in almost a month after recovering from a broken toe.
6 – Turns Mohamed Elneny and wins a corner.
7 – Mario Vrancic swings a cleared corner back into the box, drops to Murphy but fluffs his shot.
18 – Does well to shovel on a James Husband pass down the left to Vrancic, who fires a poor shot wide.
27 – Boisterous tackle on Olivier Giroud deep in City’s half to unsettle the Frenchman and Husband wins a goal-kick.
You may also want to watch:
33 – Tracks Reiss Nelson well and blocks for a throw.
34 – GOAL – Superb play by James Maddison and a wonderful through-ball sends Murphy clean through, who calmly lifts the ball over Macey for 1-0 and sparks wild celebrations.
- 1 'Blown away' - Gibson reveals how City wooed him for Premier League push
- 2 MATCHDAY RECAP: Hornets frustrate City in title tussle
- 3 City ace Krul reflects on Premier League interest
- 4 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 defeat against Watford
- 6 City lose Giannoulis appeal; three-game ban stands
- 7 Pressure on Hornets for title-hunting City
- 8 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 9 Norwich City v Watford: everything you need to know
- 10 PRESSER LIVE: City v Watford - Hanley, Pukki, Cantwell injury doubts
39 – Vrancic spreads to Husband, he plays Murphy in and the winger does well to tee up Nelson Oliveira, who curls a trademark low shot from 15 yards but Macey gets down well to save.
57 – Oliveira free-kick hits the wall, Ivo Pinto floats a cross to the back post but Murphy’s header down is weak and held by Macey.
58 – Skins Mathieu Debuchy and Elneny, low cross is destined to find Oliveira but Macey superbly tips away the low cross.
67 – An unfortunate bounce as he helps out Husband at left-back but tackles back well on Theo Walcott before Francis Coquelin fouls Maddison and is booked.
69 – Sprints past Nelson on the left but Macey claims low cross.
72 – Golden chance to seal the win, Vrancic plays him through and has to take the shot first time with Macey stranded, but hits over the bar from 25 yards.
72 – Replaced by Marco Stiepermann and gets high-fives from all on the City bench.
Verdict: When he left the field, he was a hero, after scoring an eighth goal in the 11th League Cup appearance of his career. Very bright return to action overall but denied the glory by Eddie Nketiah’s double.
Rating: 7.5 out of 10