Step forward for Stiepermann during City’s loss at Brighton but more attacking threat needed
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
This weekend’s Norwich City player watch kept a close eye on Marco Stiepermann, as the midfielder returned to Daniel Farke’s starting XI during a 2-0 defeat at Brighton.
2 - Up well to beat Martin Montoya in the air wide on the right and allow Onel Hernandez to attack but the winger is crowded out.
4 - Spreads nicely to Teem Pukki on the right side of the Brighton box after linking with Emi Buendia, Pukki's pot shot is deflected behind and Tom Trybull tamely loops a header wide.
10 - Good foot in from Stiepermann to rob Steven Alzate in midfield, turns and tries to free Pukki immediately but Lewis Dunk is too strong for the striker.
11 - CROSSBAR - Pukki with a nice turn and sprint to trigger a lovely move, Stiepermann and Buendia exchange passes and German finds a bit of space on the edge of the box, angles his body to shoot with his favoured left but ball bounces back off the bar and Onel Hernandez can't get a shot in.
You may also want to watch:
21 - Good sweeping up from Trybull, after Stiepermann was too lax in his tracking, allowing centre-back Adam Webster to get past him on the attack.
22 - Nice move from City, Hernandez finds Stiepermann, who plays Pukki down the left, Hernandez gets into the box but turns back, Jamal Lewis so nearly plays Stiepermann into the box but just too much on the pass.
- 1 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 2 PRESSER LIVE: City v Watford - Hanley, Pukki, Cantwell injury doubts
- 3 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 4 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits
- 5 'I am really happy here' - City star Buendia not worried about speculation
- 6 'Big Six' join European Super League 24 hours after City's promotion
- 7 'Good riddance' - Norwich fans react to European Super League plans
- 8 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 9 Six things you might have missed after City's promotion party
- 10 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
31 - Brilliant burst out of defence from Ben Godfrey, into the Brighton half, Stiepermann lays off to Buendia but he tries to do too much, over-playing it on the edge of the box.
32 - Rolls foot over the ball to get away from Dale Stephens in the centre, passes to Pukki in the box, who can't squeeze his shot past Webster.
45 - Pukki looks frustrated as a Stiepermann's pass doesn't reach him on halfway, Brighton totally out-numbering him.
46 - Buendia exchanges a nice one-two with Stiepermann into the right of the box but again tries to do too much.
57 - Keeps an attack alive and then stepover into space but Stephens tackles out for a throw, thinks it's his throw but referee disagrees.
63 - BOOKED - Cynical shoulder barge to stop Davy Propper pushing forward on the counter.
75 - Replaced by Josip Drmic
VERDICT: Showed signs of last season's attacking influence during the first half and so unlucky not to open the scoring with shot which hit the bar. Influence waned though and perhaps could have been replaced earlier in the second half. Better than other recent performances but City need him to offer a goal threat to be a prominent player at this level.
RATING: 6 out of 10