Norwich City transfer rumours: Club Brugge start the bidding for QPR winger
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Belgian side Club Brugge have reportedly made the first move for Queens Park Rangers winger Bright Osayi-Samuel, who is reportedly also being monitored by Norwich City and West Ham.
The 22-year-old had eight assists and six goals to his name from 32 matches this season, prior to English football’s suspension on March 13 due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Sky Sports report that QPR have turned down a £3million bid from Brugge for Osayi-Samuel, reporting that he has also “recently been linked” with Premier League side Norwich and West Ham.
The Nigeria-born forward, who moved to London as a 10-year-old having spent time growing up in Spain, is reportedly entering the final year of his deal at Loftus Road.
It was Blackpool where he started out though, making his debut in a Championship game as a 17-year-old in 2015 and contributing six assists and five goals in 79 matches before joining Rangers for an undisclosed fee in 2017.
You may also want to watch:
It was this season when he really made the breakthrough as a key player for QPR though, taking his overall tally for the club to 10 goals and nine assists from 84 matches - earning him the club’s Young Player of the Season award for 2018-19.
He only made late appearances as a substitute last season as Norwich won 1-0 at Loftus Road and 4-0 at Carrow Road.
- 1 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 2 Paddy Davitt verdict: Relentless City operating on a different level
- 3 Six things you might have missed after Norwich City's victory in Cardiff
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-1 Cardiff win
- 5 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 6 'My journey has been life-changing' - Cantwell reflects on three years since his City debut
- 7 Hugill stepped up when Norwich City needed him with determined display at Cardiff
- 8 Canaries captain hails 'outstanding' display from Hugill
- 9 'Best team in the league' - Harris raves about Canaries
- 10 Watch extended highlights of Norwich City's win at Cardiff
The Rs currently sit 13th in the Championship table, six points adrift of the play-off places but 11 clear of the relegation zone.
VERDICT: Looks to be just the calibre of player the Canaries would be considering as an option if they are unable to pull off a great escape and are relegated from the top flight - before you even consider the uncertainty of if or when the season will resume.
If City do eventually go down then Todd Cantwell and Emi Buendia are both likely to be in demand, with Onel Hernandez having struggled with injury issues since promotion.
So fresh wide options could well be a priority ahead of next season, regardless of which division the Canaries are in.