Norwich City transfer rumours: Atletico Madrid target City star Emi Buendia
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Atletico Madrid are keen on signing Norwich City midfielder Emi Buendia in a rumoured €15mil deal, according to reports in Spain.
The 23-year-old has been a shining light for the Canaries this season, with his creative output and impressive performances in the Premier League catching the eye of pundits and supporters alike.
City recruited Buendia from Getafe in the summer of 2018 and the Argentine was a pivotal component in City’s Championship title-winning season.
The report suggests Buendia will be looking to move away from City regardless of how the season concludes, with Atletico boss Diego Simeone keen on signing the midfielder.
Buendia has registered seven assists but has failed to score in the Premier League, and Atletico reportedly believe they could help progress the Argentine’s game further.
You may also want to watch:
He was a graduate of arch-rivals Real Madrid’s youth system prior to joining Getafe.
It was a loan move to Cultural Leonesa where City spotted him initially, with Stuart Webber deciding Buendia did fit the profile of player they were seeking to bring to Norfolk.
- 1 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-0 Championship cruise against Bristol City
- 2 MATCHDAY RECAP: Huge goals for Hugill as City create daylight at the top
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-0 Bristol City win
- 4 'Best team in the division' - Bristol boss hails City's stylish success
- 5 Hot Hugill caps a season's best display for City boss
- 6 Hugill brace ensures superb City beat Bristol
- 7 'Great header' - Hugill's goal earns seal of approval from Holt
- 8 Farke maps out his risk averse strategy on Pukki and Krul
- 9 STARTING XIs: Krul returns for Canaries against Bristol City
- 10 LOAN WATCH: Success for Heise and recognition for Adshead
Joao Felix, who Atletico signed in a rumoured €126mil deal from Benfica last summer, has failed to impress at the Wanda Metropolitano Stadium. Simeone is targeting Buendia to provide competition in the attacking midfield position.
Spanish outlet Don Balon are suggesting that Atletico believe they can strike a deal for Buendia when the transfer window reopens and will look to capitalise on the current uncertainty to negotiate a lower fee.
City wouldn’t be looking to sell one of their prized assets for such a low fee however, despite the effect of the coronavirus pandemic.
Webber has stated previously that due to the long-term contracts the young talent at City have signed, the club hold a strong negotiating position should a club wish to sign them.
Buendia’s performances have been raved about by supporters and pundits, but head coach Daniel Farke is still demanding an improved goal return from the midfielder.
He is yet to score in City’s quest to secure Premier League safety and Farke has even named him on the bench on occasion.