Norwich City transfer rumours: Atletico Madrid target City star Emi Buendia
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Atletico Madrid are keen on signing Norwich City midfielder Emi Buendia in a rumoured €15mil deal, according to reports in Spain.
The 23-year-old has been a shining light for the Canaries this season, with his creative output and impressive performances in the Premier League catching the eye of pundits and supporters alike.
City recruited Buendia from Getafe in the summer of 2018 and the Argentine was a pivotal component in City’s Championship title-winning season.
The report suggests Buendia will be looking to move away from City regardless of how the season concludes, with Atletico boss Diego Simeone keen on signing the midfielder.
Buendia has registered seven assists but has failed to score in the Premier League, and Atletico reportedly believe they could help progress the Argentine’s game further.
You may also want to watch:
He was a graduate of arch-rivals Real Madrid’s youth system prior to joining Getafe.
It was a loan move to Cultural Leonesa where City spotted him initially, with Stuart Webber deciding Buendia did fit the profile of player they were seeking to bring to Norfolk.
- 1 Paddy Davitt verdict: Wazza and City's great leap forward
- 2 Ex-City star Murphy boosts hopes of new deal
- 3 Former City loanee set for new deal at Borussia Dortmund
- 4 'You get relegated playing the Norwich way' - Old boy Bruce on Magpies' sorry plight
- 5 'I don't want the season to end' - City ace hitting top form
- 6 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 7 Six things you might have missed after City's win at Derby
- 8 Record-breaking week continues for Canaries
- 9 Chris Goreham: No-one should question just how good City have been
- 10 City Q&A: One down. One to go
Joao Felix, who Atletico signed in a rumoured €126mil deal from Benfica last summer, has failed to impress at the Wanda Metropolitano Stadium. Simeone is targeting Buendia to provide competition in the attacking midfield position.
Spanish outlet Don Balon are suggesting that Atletico believe they can strike a deal for Buendia when the transfer window reopens and will look to capitalise on the current uncertainty to negotiate a lower fee.
City wouldn’t be looking to sell one of their prized assets for such a low fee however, despite the effect of the coronavirus pandemic.
Webber has stated previously that due to the long-term contracts the young talent at City have signed, the club hold a strong negotiating position should a club wish to sign them.
Buendia’s performances have been raved about by supporters and pundits, but head coach Daniel Farke is still demanding an improved goal return from the midfielder.
He is yet to score in City’s quest to secure Premier League safety and Farke has even named him on the bench on occasion.