Bungay brilliant against Thorpe
Bungay Town Ladies 4, Thorpe United Ladies 2
Bungay continued their good run-up to the start of the season with a brilliant performance against Eastern Region’s Premier League side Thorpe United.
Thorpe, who play a league above Bungay, brought a large squad of players to the Maltings Meadow and were able to field two sides per each half of the game.
Bungay began slowly and Thorpe began to play the ball about comftably with a number of oppotunities falling to the feet of the Thorpe strikers. Substitute goalkeeper Leah Shepperd had a great first half and calmly dealt with any Thorpe threats at goal.
Bungay began to find their feet and a long-range shot from Emily Leach found the bottom left of the net to open the scoring. Bungay were working hard to break down any potential attacks, giving Thorpe very little time on the ball. Emily Robbins was having another good game in midfield.
You may also want to watch:
Bungay’s second was a wellworked goal using the everimproving passing ability of the team and Emily Leach once again found herself on the end of a good cross from the midfield to score her’s and Bungay’s second.
Bungay were running the game and were rewarded with their third when Michelle Stanborough produced a good finish after working hard off the shoulder of the last defender.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Leeds also interested in Gunn
- 2 City ace left out of Euro 2020 opener
- 3 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 4 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries keen on Cherries ace
- 5 A-Z: Time for a clear-out at Burnley?
- 6 ‘Definitely was not easy’ - City striker on distressing win
- 7 David Freezer: Perfect transfer strategy key to City's self-funded survival model
- 8 Norwich City fans get kit help as Pukkimania sparks dash for Euros shirt
- 9 Left-back seals permanent Canaries exit
- 10 WINDOW WATCH: The latest City transfer news and views
In the second half Thorpe fielded a much stronger side and soon pulled a goal back, but Bungay stepped up their game and another great passing move enabled Stanborough to score her second. Thorpe were awarded a penalty but second half keeper Ashleigh Pinnington maintained Bungay’s lead by tipping the ball over the bar.
Bungay were unlucky not to add further goals, Jo Oakley striking the post and some good saves from the Thorpe keeper denied the team. Towards the later stages Thorpe pulled another back, but Bungay held strong for the win.
Notable performances came from the centre-backs Annie Piper and Sian Carter, who were superb all night.
Squad: Leah Shepperd, Ashleigh Pinnington, Annie Piper, Sian Carter, Lauren Purling, Becky Goffin, Elisha Maher, Amber Rowland, Leo Daulby, Emily Robbins, Kim Roberts, Imo Williams, Kate Pasque, Rio Darlaston, Emily Leach, Michelle Stanborough and Jo Oakley.
Next week Bungay play another two friendlies: Wednesday 10th vs Copplestonians and Friday 12th vs Acle. Both games 7.30pm KO.