Bungay give leaders a scare
Bungay Town Ladies gave the runaway league leaders Great Shelford Ladies a shock as they not only kept this free-scoring team a bay for a large part of the game but also took a first-half lead which they held until well into the second half.
Bungay began the game, as expected, on the back foot but with keeper Remy Dowe in commanding form giving them confidence to push on they took the lead when Michelle Stanborough ran on to Imogen Williams’ clever through ball to beat the keeper to score.
With Bungay’s midfield and defence all putting in 100%, led by captain Lauren Mickleburgh and Emily Robbins, they held the lead and deservedly went in at half time 1-0 up.
In the second half with the confidence of the first half behind them Bungay again restricted Shelford’s play but they equalised from a cross-shot that Remy Dowe parried away but fell at the feet of a Shelford forward, and when a soft free kick was awarded on the edge of the Bungay area Shelford took the lead as a curling shot found its way in at near post,
Shelford then found themselves reduced to 10 players as their strong tackling defence over-stepped the mark once too often, this allowed Bungay to push forward to try capitalise but they left the back door open for a Shelford forward to wrap up the game 3-1.
You may also want to watch:
A game which showed the gap between winning and loosing at this level is so small.
All the Bungay team were praised by both the Shelford manager and the referee after this game for their effort and sportsmanship.
- 1 Lambert and Ipswich in crisis: Do you care, City fans?
- 2 City striker seals Swindon loan move; Hugill injury boost
- 3 Cantwell explains why he wears different coloured boots and why City is in his DNA
- 4 'I was knocked for six' - Krul reveals difficulties of his Covid-19 recovery
- 5 City Q&A: Striker light - Your questions answered
- 6 Six things you might have missed following Norwich City's FA Cup exit at Barnsley
- 7 No panic buy for Canaries after Hugill injury blow
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 9 Di Cunningham: Why City fans are in a class of their own
- 10 Paddy Davitt verdict: Cup finals aplenty if City seal the deal
Player of match: Remy Dowe.