Burnley poised to sign City midfielder Russell
Premier League new-boys Burnley are ready to offer Darel Russell a Norwich City escape route.Clarets' boss Owen Coyle has reportedly had a fresh inquiry rejected for the out-of-favour Canaries' midfielder after lodging a �600,000 offer just 12 months ago.
Premier League new-boys Burnley are ready to offer Darel Russell a Norwich City escape route.
Clarets' boss Owen Coyle has reportedly had a fresh inquiry rejected for the out-of-favour Canaries' midfielder after lodging a �600,000 offer just 12 months ago.
Russell has only one year left on his current Carrow Road deal, but the former City trainee appears surplus to requirements after being left out of Norwich's early pre-season fixtures.
The 28-year-old missed the club's Scottish tour along with Coventry-bound Sammy Clingan. Now Coyle has targeted the combative midfielder to add some valuable experience to his youthful squad.
You may also want to watch:
Russell (below) was recently linked with a possible Preston switch as a makeweight in the proposed deal for Simon Whaley, and the player's agent confirmed there are other interested parties.
City chief executive David McNally confirmed last night the club remain confident of completing the Whaley deal but ruled out any imminent departures.
- 1 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 2 PROMOTION LIVE: Cherries and red card ruin City's party
- 3 Farke braced for summer of speculation amid Frankfurt links
- 4 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 5 Banning orders and revenge mission wide of the mark for City chief
- 6 'Mission Accomplished' - Norwich City fans celebrate promotion
- 7 City’s big chance to prove there is ‘one team that stands out’
- 8 Operation Bounce Back: The story of City's promotion success
- 9 Farke's personal message to City fans
- 10 'I wanted to bring Norwich back' - Emi reveals why he stayed at City
"We're still in discussions with his representatives at this stage but there is nothing further to report," said McNally.
"Sometimes these things can take a while but hopefully in the next few days we will be in a position to announce improvements to Bryan Gunn's squad. By the same token, one or two will be leaving the club but, again, there is nothing immediate happening on that front."
Russell's agent Gary Mellor said: "There is interest in Darel, as there was 12 months ago.
"Burnley are not the only club that are interested, but the appeal of Premier League football makes Burnley the most attractive option at this moment in time."
City look poised to cash in on Russell, with Gunn having already recruited midfield duo Owain Tudur Jones and Matt Gill while academy prospect Tom Adeyemi impressed on the Scottish tour.
Coyle is a confirmed admirer after his failed approach last summer, with Burnley reportedly ready to step up their interest following the club's north American training camp.