Bury 2, Norwich City 1

The FA Cup can be the maker and breaker of reputations -and league two strugglers Bury put a big dent in that of Norwich City.

Bury 2 Norwich 1: Glenn Roeder will remember his first ever visit to Gigg Lane for all the wrong reasons.

It wasn't simply that it rained on the City manager's FA Cup parade: it was the fact that it poured.

After nine matches without defeat, City found themselves well and truly stuck in the mud at Bury, where only a lunchtime pitch inspection had allowed the match to go ahead.

The foundations on which City's revival has been built disintegrated beneath their feet against a side without a manager, without a win since the start of November and probably on the slippery slope to relegation.

You may also want to watch:

But the FA Cup can be the maker and breaker of reputations -and Bury put a big dent in that of Norwich City.

George Burley, manager of Bury's next opponents Southampton, was in the crowd -and will be feeling far more comfortable ahead of City's league visit there later this month. Perhaps he would rather be facing City than Bury a week on Saturday -certainly the League Two side showed enough zest for caretaker boss Chris Brass last night to trouble the Saints.

Most Read

Roeder made five changes to the team which won at Barnsley and arguably paid a heavy price.

Jon Otsemobor was given another opportunity to rest his Achilles, with teenager Michael Spillane drafted in at right back.

With Ched Evans ineligible and Dion Dublin rested to the bench, Roeder paired Ryan Jarvis and Jamie Cureton up front. Lee Croft joined Dublin on the bench, with Darren Huckerby recalled to play on the right flank, which created room for Matty Pattison, back after a one-game ban, on the left of midfield. On-loan Chelsea youngster Ryan Bertand moved to the left-back slot, with Mo Camara's name added to a string looking subs' list.

Brass again went with one up front in Andy Bishop, scorer at Carrow Road 10 days ago, but was without long throw expert, defender Dave Challinor, out injured.

Roeder had promised a different City from the one that failed to put away Bury at Carrow Road, and within two minutes Jarvis had got his header to a Mark Fotheringham corner, his effort too high to trouble Robert Provert.

City enjoyed good possession early on, leaving Bury to do the chasing on a heavy pitch, although the final pass was proving elusive.

Richie Baker's run down the left on 12 minutes had the home fans on their feet but they were soon jeering when the linesman's flag went up when he passed it across the area to the on-rushing Bishop.

Bishop had a great opportunity to put Bury ahead four minutes later when Gary Doherty failed to clear a David Buchanan cross from the left and the striker skewed his chance into the air, enabling David Marshall to punch clear.

But within a couple of minutes the hosts were ahead, Ben Futcher stabbing the ball homer from close range as bodies fell and boots flew in a packed City area.

It was the breakthrough Bury wanted -and prompted a quick return to the dug-out for Roeder, who had watched City untangle from the safety of the stands.

What he saw wasn't edifying: Pattison and Shackell were guilty of basic passing errors as City foundered, the forwards struggling to get any sort of touch..

Tellingly, when Huckerby did move wide left he made inroads into the area, which had been something of a no-go zone for the Canaries.

It could have been worse on 27 minutes, Buchanan tucking a neat ball into Dale Stephens who found Bishop in the area - only for the front man to delay long enough for Ryan Bertrand to nick the ball off his boot.

Roeder tinkered, Huckerby moving more to the left with Darel Russell pushed slightly forward and the midfielder should have done better when he connected with Spillane's cut-back only to see a Bury boot block his attempt.

Jarvis finally got a shot away, but it was way wide of a post after nice build-up play with Fotheringham and Russell.

Norwich had slowed the Bury momentum to some extent, although Baker and Adams put in two good crosses at the other end which should have been more productive.

With half-time approaching, a Fotheringham free-kick - patiently awaited as City organised their attacking positions -simply went straight out of play, which just about summed up City's first-half performance.

Roeder had some work to do at half-time - which is so often the case with City -to avoid the Canaries being the shock of the night.

With the rain beginning to pour down, Dublin started the second half in place of Jarvis -and within five minutes had set up City's best chance of the night. Spillane's ball from the right was chested on by Dublin into the path of Cureton, who took it on five yards only to be denied by an excellent save by the advancing Provett.

He then combined well with Bertrand, but the left back lost his footing as he reached the penalty area.

Croft joined the fray minutes later as Roeder upped the attacking stakes, with Shackell seeing a header well saved after a Spillane free-kick from the right.

Cureton broke down the middle, Croft set up Spillane, but the youngster's well-placed shot was comfortable enough for Provett. Progress was finally being made -it was just the final touch that was needed.

But when the touch came, it came from Bury on 61 minutes, and City's Cup dream was on the wane. The Shakers worked their way down the left flank, Adams threading a perfect ball to Bishop in the left side of the area - and Bishop did the rest, sliding the ball under Marshall from a tight angle.

The Bury fans taunts of Championship you're having a laugh¡¨ rang truer than it has done for some time.

City were in danger of unravelling, and Roeder played his final card on 66 minutes, taking off the ineffective Huckerby for Camara, with Bertrand pushed further up the left flank

Futcher was denied a second by a linesman's flag on 75 minutes, but even at that stage it was probably unlikely to have mattered.

Cureton spun and hit a shot which saw Provett saved superbly with 10 minutes left and Croft hit the post before - but Dublin breathed life into City with five minutes left when he tapped home from two yards after Bertrand had headed back a cross from the right.

It set up a fantastic final few minutes, both teams throwing everything into attack.

Fotheringham shot just wide as the signal for three extra minutes went up and Doherty was inches away from getting on the end of Croft's cross -but City's Cup dream was over for another year.

Bury: Provett, Haslam, Scott, Futcher, Woodthorpe, Adams, Baker, Stephens, Buchanan (Anane 90), Barry-Murphy (Dorney 83), Bishop. Subs not used: Hurst, Parrish, Rouse.

Goals: Futcher 14, Bishop 61.

Norwich: Marshall 6, Spillane 7, Doherty 7, Shackell 6, Bertrand 6, Russell 6, Fotheringham 6, Pattison 5 (Croft 55, 6), Huckerby 5 (Camara 66, 6), Jarvis 6 (Dublin 45, 6), Cureton 5. Subs not used: Gilks, Cave-Brown.

Goal: Dublin 85.

Booking: Russell, 73, foul on Adams; Doherty, 82, foul on Bishop.

Man of the match: Michael Spillane.

Referee: Colin Webster.

Attendance: 4,146 (806 Norwich)

Time added on: 2 mins/3 mins


Shots on: Bury 3, Norwich 8.

Shots off: Bury 2, Norwich 7.

Fouls: Bury 11, Norwich 10.

Corners: Bury 1, Norwich 2.

Offsides: Bury 6, Norwich 2.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus