Butterworth believes Tudur Jones will be prize catch
Ian Butterworth's coaching stint in south Wales gave him a first-hand view of new City signing Owain Tudur Jones. The Canaries completed the deal for the Swansea midfielder (pictured) after agreeing an undisclosed fee, linked to the player's appearances and whether he helps City win promotion.
Ian Butterworth's coaching stint in south Wales gave him a first-hand view of new City signing Owain Tudur Jones.
The Canaries completed the deal for the Swansea midfielder (pictured) after agreeing an undisclosed fee, linked to the player's appearances and whether he helps City win promotion.
The Swans had the option of activating a one-year extension on his contract, but agreed to the move.
Assistant manager Butterworth said he urged boss Bryan Gunn to sign the 6ft 4in Wales international after seeing him in action over several seasons.
You may also want to watch:
"We're pleased to have Owain on board. He's a player I knew a little bit about when I was at Cardiff," said Butterworth. "He played against Cardiff for Swansea, against Hartlepool as well, and we feel as though he will be a very useful addition.
"He can play in central midfield, where he's played most of his career, and he's played at the back as well. But he sees himself as a central midfield player and that's where we see him as well.
- 1 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
- 2 City midfielder returns to Norfolk after loan spell terminated
- 3 Bushiri completes Eupen loan
- 4 Placheta must kick on at City
- 5 Cantwell explains why he wears different coloured boots and why City is in his DNA
- 6 Giannoulis deal proof City can navigate difficult transfer market
- 7 Giannoulis in contention for Boro clash - as City secure work permit
- 8 City striker seals Swindon loan move; Hugill injury boost
- 9 Lambert and Ipswich in crisis: Do you care, City fans?
- 10 'That's my dream' - Giannoulis hopes his style will boost City's promotion hopes
"So we're delighted to have Owain on board and I'm sure he'll be a really useful acquisition.
"You need that height and physical presence in certain key positions. Owain has good feet, good technical ability and he comes highly recommended.
"I saw him play his first game for Swansea, a trial game at Forest Green a few years back, and when Bryan had a phone call from an agent that he might be available, I was the first one to say him 'He's the one we need to get' so I hope he comes off.
"He's an intelligent lad and I'm sure he'll fit in."