Cambridge United 5, King's Lynn 0

The Linnets were taught a harsh lesson in defending in today's FA vase clash with Cambridge United.

FA TROPHY: Cambridge United 5, King's Lynn 0

The Linnets were led out by Greg Crane skippering the side for the first time in the absence of Mark Warren to a standing ovation from their large following of supporters numbering approximately 800.

The visitors won the toss and elected the south stand end in which their supporters were situated with the U's kicking off.

Fisk found Francis on the Lynn left who made a good surging run across from which Jack Defty was just beaten to the ball. When Gleeson for Cambridge crossed from deep Lynn keeper Howie made a good catch under pressure.

You may also want to watch:

Again Pitt for the U's made a good run but was stopped by Camm at the expense of a fruitless corner. Cambridge took the lead with a sloppy goal by Gavin HOYTE after just seven minutes, Mark Camm failing to clear the bouncing ball in the Lynn penalty area which the big U's number 17 turned into goal from eight yards.

For Lynn a Mulryne free kick was too close to goalkeeper Potter who made an easy catch. The Linnets then put a good passing move together allowing Francis and then Chapman to get in telling crosses from the left but the move ended with Mulryne being caught off side.

Most Read

Lynn were now beginning to pass the ball better until a foul by Fisk on Hoyte led to the Lynn man being cautioned. Lynn looked vulnerable when Convery put in a cross from the right allowing Fortune-West a free header which the U's big target man headed fractionally over. On 20 minutes a shot from Lee Boylan was well saved by Howie as he turned the ball away for a corner. Lynn replied with a run from Francis whose deep cross from the left was likewise cleared.

A bad back pass almost put Howie in trouble as Pitt sought to capitalise with the ball being put out for a corner from which the Lynn defence were under heavy pressure which was only relieved when Howie was fouled. Chapman then took a knock but was able to resume after treatment. A high dropping cross from Brown for Cambridge was misread by Howie but Camm was on hand to clear the danger.

On 31 minutes a foul by Brown on Jack Defty saw the U's skipper become the second player in referee Cootes' notebook as he received a yellow card. Another powerful run from Francis for Lynn enabled the winger to cross but no Lynn forward was up to take advantage.

Cambridge returned to the attack and Crane for Lynn did well to block a shot from Convery. There was nearly a second goal on 34 minutes for Cambridge when following a comedy of errors and a right wing cross deceived West who headed on to his own crossbar only for Pitt to nod the rebound wide from point blank range.

However Cambridge were not to be denied for long when just two minutes later with the Lynn defence all at sea following another corner by Convery, Leo FORTUNE-WEST poked the ball home unmarked from six yards.

On 40 minutes Francis who had been Lynn's best player tried to retaliate with another surging run and shot from 20 yards from which Potter in the home goal made a flying save with the defender putting the ball out for a fruitless corner.

Last action of the half saw Convery crossing this time from the left and Fortune-West heading wide.

The half ended with Lynn facing a mountain to climb in the second period as they struggled to find their rhythm and paid dearly for their defensive lapses.

Half time Cambridge United 2, King's Lynn 0.

King's Lynn opened the second half brightly with Francis making two surging runs, the first being blocked by Gleeson and the second finding the midriff of goalkeeper Potter. A third run saw Cambridge defender Gleeson cautioned for a foul challenge on the winger.

Further Lynn pressure saw a John Turner cross put out for a corner which Melton headed over from Francis' flag kick. Peters was then cautioned for a foul on the edge of the box on Lynn centre forward Defty. However, the free-kick taken by Mulryne was unproductive.

The former Northern Ireland international then played a penetrating through ball for Fisk to run on to but the Lynn midfielder's shot lacked power and Potter made a diving save.

On 62 minutes the Linnets made their first substitution when Nolan replaced Turner, Cambridge responding with leading scorer Rendell replacing Fortune-West. Crane cleared with a flying header for Lynn when the troublesome Pitt put in another telling cross from the left.

On 65 minutes Jack Defty had a superb chance to pull a goal back for Lynn when, from a great through ball from Francis, he turned defender Peters for a clear shooting chance which the Lynn centre forward failed to test Potter.

A minute later Lynn were left to rue the miss as Scott RENDELL turned the ball in after an error by Crane following yet another cross by Pitt. Lynn now brought on Bloomfield to replace Fisk who almost got in when after hesitation in the U's defence gave him an opportunity but Potter just got a hand to the ball and deflected it from goal.

Lynn now made their final substitution on 74 minutes with Daniel Buhlemann replacing Stephen Melton. Nolan had a shot charged down by Peters after a cross from West had been headed out. Peters was then on hand again this time to block another cross from Francis. Defty had a further chance for Lynn as he turned his marker but, instead of shooting, he tried a delicate chip which failed to trouble Potter.

The U's scored their fourth goal on 87 minutes when leading scorer RENDELL added to his tally when he was found by Willmott from Pitt's flag kick, both players being left completely unmarked in the Lynn area.

Cambridge were ending the match well in command and Lynn being taught a harsh lesson in defending which was compounded when BOYLAN headed a late fifth goal following fine play from Pitt and Rendell. As the game drew to its conclusion Woolleston almost made it six in stoppage time shooting inches wide of Howie's far post.

Final score: Cambridge United 5, King's Lynn 0.

Attendance 2,311.

Kings Lynn: Howie, West, Chapman, Mulryne, Crane, Camm, Melton, Fisk, J Defty, Turner, Francis.

Subs: Bloomfield, Nolan, Lake, Buhlemann, Murray.

Ben Chapman returned after missing four games but influential captain Mark Warren and winger Michael Frew were both sidelined with flu. Charlie Defty who returned after his recent spell in hospital played 90 minutes in the Reserves 2-1 win over Swaffham on Friday but was not considered for today's game, while Criag Fleming's injury confined him to the commentary box.

Cambridge United: Peters, Hoyte, Coulson, Gleeson, Pitt, Brown, Convery, Carden, Fortune-West, Boylan.

Subs: Morrison, Knights, Willmott, Wolleaston, Rendell.

Ref: Mr D Coote, Newark.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus