Ex-City striker set for Russell Martin reunion at MK Dons
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Cameron Jerome is reportedly close to sealing a return to English football with MK Dons - meaning a reunion with former Norwich City captain Russell Martin.
The 34-year-old is searching for a new club having seen his contract with Turkish Super Lig side Göztepe expire over the summer.
A move to Stadium MK would see Jerome add to the growing contingent of players with links to the Canaries under Martin’s stewardship. The pair played together at Carrow Road and both played significant roles in the club’s promotion to the Premier League in 2015.
According to Football Insider’s transfer expert Pete O’Rourke, Jerome is set to put pen-to-paper to sign a one-year deal with the Dons.
Martin is believed to be searching for additional firepower with the hope that Jerome can inject a fresh goal threat at that level. If he does sign, Jerome could be partnered alongside City loanee Carlton Morris. Louis Thompson is also on loan to Martin’s men from Carrow Road.
You may also want to watch:
City’s former captain took the manager’s job last November and guided the club to League One safety, replacing Paul Tisdale.
They haven’t started the season in the best of form - although they did scupper Ipswich Town’s 100 percent start to the season by drawing 1-1 with them last weekend.
- 1 Ex-City star Murphy boosts hopes of new deal
- 2 Former City loanee set for new deal at Borussia Dortmund
- 3 Candid Cantwell opens up on struggles during 'whirlwind' summer
- 4 'I don't want the season to end' - City ace hitting top form
- 5 Six things you might have missed after City's win at Derby
- 6 City defender likened to a 'young Rio Ferdinand'
- 7 Lee Payne: Bruce has got it wrong over Norwich City and Premier League
- 8 City Q&A: One down. One to go
- 9 Chris Goreham: No-one should question just how good City have been
- 10 Record-breaking week continues for Canaries
Jerome signed for the Canaries in 2014 and became a popular figure at Carrow Road - he netted 42 goals in 138 appearances across a four-year spell in Norfolk.
Jerome left Carrow Road for Derby County in January 2018 - but only stayed until August before opting to move to Turkey.
The striker turned down the option of crossing the divide to play for Ipswich in 2018 after fearing it would dent his positive relationship with City’s supporters.
Jerome’s agent, Eric Walters, said: “Cameron has decided on going elsewhere because of his association with the Norwich faithful, whose company on a Saturday afternoon he thoroughly enjoyed.
“Playing for Ipswich was something that would have soured those wonderful memories but I thank Ipswich Town and Mr Evans for his interest.”