Tettey sets the record straight on Rosenborg switch
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City midfielder Alex Tettey has responded to reports touting him with a return to Rosenborg.
City's longest-serving player captained the Canaries' to a famous 3-2 Premier League win over Manchester City last weekend on his first start in months.
The 33-year-old is in the final year of his current contract, after signing an extension in May 2018.
Tettey spent six years with Rosenborg between 2003 and 2009 and the midfielder has had to deal with speculation regarding a possible return to his former club since he signed his last Carrow Road extension.
"It's been an annoyance for me, because it's not something I want on me. It is very important that it is projected correctly," Tettey told Norway's VG.
You may also want to watch:
"There have been times where I have said I do not want to talk much about it, to avoid misunderstandings on my part and on everyone's part."
Rosenborg are still rumoured to be credited with an interest in their former player and with his contract set to expire in 2020, he could sign a pre-contract with them after this calendar year.
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Can City mark fans return with a win over Wednesday?
- 2 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Sheffield Wednesday - Pukki and Emi fit
- 3 Yanic Wildschut on why his Norwich City move didn't work out
- 4 Canaries 2-1 Sheffield Weds: City stage thrilling late comeback
- 5 City lodge complaint to EFL over match officials conduct during Luton Town defeat
- 6 Norwich City v Sheffield Wednesday - all you need to know
- 7 City chief backs club stance over Hatters fallout
- 8 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 win over Sheffield Weds
- 9 Farke's fan plea ahead of Carrow Rd return
- 10 'We don't want to get used to being beaten' - Farke lays it on the line
Tettey has not closed the door on a potential Rosenborg switch, but makes it clear he will only consider the transfer if it suits all parties.
"I love Rosenborg, they mean a lot to me… but I don't want to go to Rosenborg as a 34-year-old who everyone just wants to remember how he was before," he explains.
"It gives me nothing, it gives the club nothing, it gives the fans nothing. It gives me absolutely nothing to play on artificial turf in cold weather and all that. So, if I go back to Rosenborg, it should be because I have motivation and because the club wants it…"
A few months before Tettey signed his last contract at Norwich City, he had travelled to Trondheim and trained wearing Rosenborg's training gear. This only resulted in the number of reports increasing, but he never expected things to be so big.
"I think the whole thing is so comical. It is completely incredible. I didn't know it was going to create so much fuss. It's a little shocking to me. I thought 'wow'. He [agent Bjørn-Tore Kvarme] still makes fun of it and says I shouldn't put on Rosenborg clothes," the Norwich midfielder added.