Ben Godfrey set for new Norwich City deal
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Ben Godfrey is poised to pledge his longer term future to Norwich City by signing an extended Carrow Road contract, according to Sky Sports.
Godfrey has been touted with the likes of Manchester United earlier this summer but Sky Sports transfer blog report on Monday lunchtime he is 'close to reaching an agreement' on a new five year deal to ward off potential suitors.
The England Under-20 international is under contract until 2022 (with a further one year option) after signing an improved contract 12 months ago.
But the former York trainee has since emerged as a key figure in the Canaries' Championship title winning campaign at centre back, forging an impressive partnership with Christoph Zimmermann.
Godfrey scored four goals in 36 appearances for the Canaries after grabbing his chance around the turn of the year following injury and suspension to the likes of Timm Klose and Grant Hanley.
You may also want to watch:
Sporting director Stuart Webber made it clear recently there had been no firm interest since the end of last season in the club's best young talent but urged the likes of Godfrey, Max Aarons and Jamal Lewis to prove their worth in the Premier League with City.
- 1 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 2 'You get relegated playing the Norwich way' - Old boy Bruce on Magpies' sorry plight
- 3 Premier League here we come for City chief Farke
- 4 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' spirited 1-0 Championship win against Derby County
- 5 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Derby County win
- 6 Record-breaking week continues for Canaries
- 7 'Champagne on ice' - City set for Carrow Road celebration next week
- 8 'We showed Norwich too much respect' - Rooney on Rams' reverse
- 9 Paddy Davitt verdict: Wazza and City's great leap forward
- 10 ‘Ninety points is usually enough’ - Dowell buzzing for City’s big day