From Norwich to the West Lancs League. Ben Marshall’s bizarre career twist
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Former Norwich City wide player Ben Marshall is plying his trade for Stoneclough in the 12th tier of English football.
The 28-year-old left the Canaries by mutual consent in July 2019 after a limited impact at Carrow Road. Marshall recently held talks with League One Rotherham but has been ticking over playing with his mates for amateur side Stoneclough in the past few months.
Stoneclough announced the 'biggest signing in their history' after beating Millom 1-0 at the weekend.
"It's gone mad all of a sudden," said club secretary Peter Conroy, speaking to the Bolton News. "This has caused a real buzz, but he's actually been with us since October, he is a local lad, from Swinton way, and he was mates with a few of the lads and just wanted to come down just to get fit.
"We had to contact Norwich City to get him released, which you never think you'll have to do in amateur football, and we've had Sky Sports on wanting to cover the story too.
You may also want to watch:
"It is worth it though, he's an unbelievable lad, he's enjoyed his time with us so far, and he's hardly missed a game for us. It's great having him around.
"It's so refreshing to see him, he's a 'human being', not closeted away at all. He's fitted in brilliantly, and obviously he'll be free to leave whenever he wants or needs to for the sake of his career.
- 1 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 2 'Best team in the league' - Harris raves about Canaries
- 3 PRESSER LIVE: Cardiff City v Norwich City - Quintilla & Mumba test positive for Covid; Krul still out
- 4 'The Norwich fans are probably fuming' - Skipp on being Mr Popular
- 5 Solskjaer education and goalkeeping genetics pave way for City target Nyland
- 6 'Three Lungs' back in business
- 7 Drmic's Euro mission to seal City exit
- 8 Norwich loan has 'ticked every box' for Ben Gibson
- 9 City hold talks with Nyland
- 10 'It’s difficult, but it’s a nice difficulty' - ex-City man's verdict on Buendia
"We had to jump through a few hoops but he's such a great lad to have around the place."
The former Wolves and Blackburn wide player made just six appearances for the Canaries following his signing in June 2018.