Canaries confirm signing of Scotland Under-19 midfielder following Arsenal exit
- Credit: Norwich City FC
The latest addition to Norwich City’s under-23 squad has been revealed, with central midfielder Charlie Gilmour joining after his long association with Arsenal’s academy came to an end.
The 20-year-old was linked with Norwich by Scottish newspaper the Daily Record earlier this year, who suggested the Scotland Under-19 international had chosen City ahead of Rangers.
Norwich have now confirmed Gilmour has joined on a two-year deal, with the option for a further 12 months, and it's understood the youngster will initially be a part of the U23 set-up.
The Brighton-born midfielder was first involved with Arsenal at the age of six and made two first-team appearances last season, coming on as a late substitute during Europa League group stage wins over Ukrainian side Vorskla and Azerbaijani club Qarabag.
He also made four appearances in the EFL Trophy for the Gunners' U21 side, scoring in a 6-2 defeat to Cheltenham Town and also facing the first teams of Coventry City, Forest Green Rovers and Portsmouth.
Gilmour was also a regular in Premier League Two last season, playing in 19 matches for the U23s, but joins the likes of England U18 midfielder Daniel Adshead and Belgium U21 defender Rocky Bushiri in bolstering the U23 squad at Norwich this summer.
Posting on Instagram in May ahead of his Arsenal exit, Gilmour wrote: "14 years, from the age of six years old to 20 years old. I leave the club I have supported all my life.
You may also want to watch:
"It has been the craziest journey throughout my childhood with so many ups and downs along the way. From moving away from my family at the age of 13 to grafting each and every day.
"My biggest highlight is to say that I've played for Arsenal Football Club. Thank you to everyone who has helped me in my career so far. The journey continues."
- 1 Transfer rumour: Everton unsure about price tag for City star
- 2 Farke's dilemma with City prodigies
- 3 Paddy Davitt: 'Little old Norwich' tag is a poor fit
- 4 'We want to stop the party' - Cherries fired up for City clash
- 5 Police interviews and faulty planes - the inside track on Onel's Cuba bow
- 6 Robbie Savage: 'Never mind Stuart Webber, it's all down to me'
- 7 Pompey boss praises 'perfect model' at Norwich City
- 8 City confirm fans will not return to Carrow Road this season
- 9 'Auld Enemy' clash on the backburner for City captain
- 10 'Like a shield' - Canaries boss heaps praise on Webber's work
Gilmour represented England at U16 and U17 level but switched allegiances to Scotland - as he qualifies through his father - and has caps at U17 and U19 level for the Scots.
City have set about adding quality to their U23 squad, sufficient to head out on loan at good levels, with winger Aidan Fitzpatrick signed from Partick and left-back Rob Nizet from Anderlecht as well.