‘I must admit it looked offside’ - Hodgson thankful for VAR help in Eagles’ 1-1 City comeback
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Roy Hodgson was grateful for a helping hand from the VAR officials to earn a 1-1 Premier League draw at Norwich City.
Eagles' substitute Connor Wickham slid home Wilfred Zaha's pass from close range but the flag immediately went up for offside at Carrow Road only for the goal to stand when the technology adjudged City defender Christoph Zimmermann had played the striker onside.
"In our draw at Southampton we had a goal ruled out for a very tight offside decision which was very frustrating and this time it was the exact opposite, with the technology helping us," said Hodgson, who revealed afterwards star man Zaha was a fitness doubt on the eve of the game.
"I must admit it looked offside from the bench and I wasn't surprised when the flag went up, but the replay showed that the defender's foot was playing Connor onside so it was pleasant surprise.
"We had seven players out before the game with injury, players who were regulars in the side earlier in the season, and that became eight when Mamadou Sakho went off at half-time with a hamstring problem.
You may also want to watch:
"On top of that a number of the players out there were playing when not fully fit, including Wilfred Zaha, who only said he was okay to play on the morning of the game.
"We have had three tough games against West Ham, Southampton and now Norwich and to have come away with five points is a superb achievement in the circumstances.
- 1 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Bristol City - Pukki still out, Krul set to return
- 2 PROFILE: Raw determination and loan education helped City's incoming left-back emerge at PAOK
- 3 City confirm Dimitris Giannoulis deal
- 4 City legend details Webber conversation before sporting director appointment
- 5 Buendia to Arsenal. Forget it, says City boss Farke
- 6 Spurs loanee Skipp is a centre-back's dream, according to City skipper
- 7 Matt Howman: Do you want Norwich City to be in the Premier League
- 8 Bullish Robins' boss pledges to mix it with Canaries
- 9 City keeper issues injury update
- 10 City Q&A recap: What does Giannoulis signing mean for Quintilla?
"This group of players never ceases to surprise me - after conceding an early goal they showed great organisation and determination to stay in the game and come away with a hard earned point."