Adshead reveals why Canaries move felt right
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Highly-rated youngster Dan Adshead got the inside track on Norwich City from two Carrow Road old boys.
The former Rochdale starlet sealed a summer switch to the Premier League new boys, and has now initially joined up with City's development squad.
The England Under-18 international midfielder was previously touted with both Manchester giants, and made his first team debut less than a month after his 16th birthday.
Adshead could feature for the Under-23s on Friday in their German tour friendly against SV Lippstadt, and the teenager revealed it was ex-Dale team mates Ian Henderson and Aaron Wilbraham who insisted Norwich was the perfect step.
"Everyone I have spoken to has mentioned Hendo, which tells me what people think of him here," said Adshead, speaking at the club's tour base. "I definitely spoke to him before coming to Norwich. He was just brilliant for me the minute I came through at Rochdale. He told me how great the club was and how good the people are. I also spoke to Aaron Wilbraham who gave me a lot of advice.
You may also want to watch:
"To have them two to go to for advice is an honour because they have done so much in the game and they are friends to me now.
"My agent gave me a call about a month before it actually went through. As soon as he told me that was it. I looked at the first team here and some of the boys who have come through, and that is my motivation.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Canaries beaten by Barnsley in FA Cup
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 FA Cup defeat against Barnsley
- 3 Farke's injury fears for Hugill after Barnsley FA Cup loss
- 4 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 5 Rupp set for FA Cup recall
- 6 STARTING XIs: Hernandez starts as City make five changes for FA Cup tie
- 7 Ton up Tim is wonderful for Farke
- 8 Robin Sainty: Farke has taken City to a whole new level
- 9 Energetic Barnsley dump disjointed Norwich side out of the FA Cup
- 10 Barnsley v Norwich City in the FA Cup - all you need to know
"That was what brought me here. I was buzzing when he told me. It means everything to have that pathway to the first team. It is nice to be part of the Under-23s but I am here to push myself to be the best I can be."
Adshead played against Tottenham's star-studded line up in the FA Cup at Rochdale and came face-to-face with another bright, young thing.
"I look up to Dele Alli a little bit," he said. "He is similar in the fact he started out very young in the lower leagues and now he is a bit of a superstar. I got his shirt against Tottenham in the FA Cup.
"That was unbelievable. I hope I can get to his level one day.
"There was a lot of hype, or whatever you want to call it, but I just try to do the work on the pitch. It is nice to have people talk about you in that sense but if I am not doing it on the pitch that won't continue.
"I will keep my head down and keep working hard."