Sinani’s mentor on why City have pulled off a masterstroke
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Danel Sinani ‘can be the man’ for Norwich City, according to his Luxembourg international boss Luc Holtz.
The exciting 23-year-old agreed a pre-contract deal to join the Canaries from July 1, after emerging as one of his country’s most coveted youngsters.
Sinani was top scorer in Luxembourg’s domestic league prior to football’s suspension for coronavirus, and had struck four goals in five Europa League ties earlier in the season.
Holtz has worked with the current Luxembourg footballer of the year since the age of 15 and is confident the powerful attacker has the tools to make his mark in England. Sinani sounded out his national boss before opting to leave current club F91 Dudelange this coming summer, and Holtz believes the opportunity to link up with City was too good to miss.
“If you play in Luxembourg and you get the chance to move to the Premier League, you have to take the opportunity and go,” said Holtz, who has been in charge of his country since 2010. “Nonetheless, Danel’s contract expires at the end of this season and that’s the reason why the timing is also really good.
You may also want to watch:
“As Danel was still under contract with Dudelange, it was not only up to him to decide. I knew he had some opportunities to move but the person in charge of Dudelange wanted to keep him.”
Canaries’ head coach Daniel Farke made it clear, after the club confirmed a deal was in place, he sees Sinani potentially operating across the Norwich frontline. Holtz believes the youngster is most effective down the middle at this stage of his career.
“He has a great technique and high quality when he is in possession of the ball. Especially in the last 30 metres (of the pitch),” he said. “He’s really strong in the box. His best position is, for sure, number 10 but he can also perform on the right wing.
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 2 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 3 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 4 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 6 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 7 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 8 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 9 No Pukki no problem for Canaries as they move seven points clear at the top
- 10 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
“He probably needs some time (when he first arrives). For that reason, my recommendation to him is to work hard and to prepare for the next season.
“If he’s able to adapt fast, he can be the man.
“Danel is mature and clever enough to know what is involved in taking a decision like this. Moving to another country, to a new culture is a big step in life and he will have shared all that with his family. Of course we spoke about it, but the player must have a good feeling for this new adventure.”
Marco Stiepermann, Kenny McLean and Moritz Leitner were all used in that number 10 role this season, before the January loan arrival of Ondrej Duda.
• Read more from Sinani’s mentor on what he has to work on in his game, why he can be a trailblazer for his country and what he has in common with French superstar Kylian Mbappe on this channel later on Saturday