‘Sparkling water and cucumber’ - Farke tells Pukki and Aarons to put the celebrations on ice at the EFL awards bash
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City duo Teemu Pukki and Max Aarons are under orders from Daniel Farke to make it an early night when they head to the prestigious Football League awards in Park Lane on Sunday.
Both have been shortlisted in the Championship player-of-the-season and EFL young player-of-the-season categories respectively, with the winners announced at the Grosvenor House hotel bash.
Pukki notched a brace to take his league tally to 26 for the season in Saturday’s 4-0 win over QPR, that moved Norwich seven points clear at the top. Aarons also played his part again with the assist for Emi Buendia’s opener in what has been a stunning breakthrough campaign for the England Under-19 international.
Farke is keeping his fingers crossed the duo return with silverware, but there will be no heavy celebrations.
“They are allowed to travel but just to have some sparkling water and cucumber to eat. Not alcohol,” he joked. “There is not so much time to open champagne because they have an important game on Wednesday (against Reading).
You may also want to watch:
“They will be allowed to travel and it is also important they are quickly back to Norfolk to sleep on Sunday night. They know the important thing is to keep working for the big prize. It is not about individual awards in that sense but the team. I have a lot of lads who deserve individual awards.
“It would be fully deserved. Our target is not to win the goalscoring award, or individual awards, it is group award and we know what that is.
- 1 City transfer rumours: West Ham show interest in £30m rated Aarons
- 2 No West Ham contact for Aarons; Drmic wage hike unlikely
- 3 Former City boss to leave post at the end of the season
- 4 Webber will continue to be 'brutally honest' at City
- 5 City hot-shot out to prove point in Premier League, claims ex-Canary
- 6 Transfer rumours: Everton 'step up interest' in City star
- 7 Transfer rumour: Canaries interested in Celtic defender
- 8 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 9 Canaries legend thinks promotion party was fully deserved
- 10 PRESSER LIVE: QPR v City - Bullish Farke on Aarons' Everton link; no new injuries
“I praised Teemu a lot and also Max for his development, especially in his consistency. It is totally okay they receive individual awards, or at least be recognised on the short list. They deserve all the applause and the plaudits and the spotlight.
“But you need to handle it. I am pretty sure they will. They are so modest, with their feet on the ground.”
Pukki is up against fellow strikers Billy Sharp (Sheffield United) and Che Adams (Birmingham City), with Aarons shortlisted alongside Liverpool loanee Harry Wilson (Derby County) and James Justin (Luton Town).
The duo have already been selected for the Championship team-of-the-season, which also includes Jamal Lewis, in a poll conducted by the managers,
• Follow live coverage of the event on pinkun.com on Sunday evening with Michael Bailey