‘Sparkling water and cucumber’ - Farke tells Pukki and Aarons to put the celebrations on ice at the EFL awards bash
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City duo Teemu Pukki and Max Aarons are under orders from Daniel Farke to make it an early night when they head to the prestigious Football League awards in Park Lane on Sunday.
Both have been shortlisted in the Championship player-of-the-season and EFL young player-of-the-season categories respectively, with the winners announced at the Grosvenor House hotel bash.
Pukki notched a brace to take his league tally to 26 for the season in Saturday’s 4-0 win over QPR, that moved Norwich seven points clear at the top. Aarons also played his part again with the assist for Emi Buendia’s opener in what has been a stunning breakthrough campaign for the England Under-19 international.
Farke is keeping his fingers crossed the duo return with silverware, but there will be no heavy celebrations.
“They are allowed to travel but just to have some sparkling water and cucumber to eat. Not alcohol,” he joked. “There is not so much time to open champagne because they have an important game on Wednesday (against Reading).
You may also want to watch:
“They will be allowed to travel and it is also important they are quickly back to Norfolk to sleep on Sunday night. They know the important thing is to keep working for the big prize. It is not about individual awards in that sense but the team. I have a lot of lads who deserve individual awards.
“It would be fully deserved. Our target is not to win the goalscoring award, or individual awards, it is group award and we know what that is.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries make bid for Peterborough ace
- 2 Could Canaries benefit from Chelsea appointing Tuchel?
- 3 Former Arsenal and Norwich midfielder set to sign for Saints
- 4 Boro set to sign Premier League forward ahead of Norwich trip
- 5 'There isn't one team that stands out' - Bees' boss on promotion fight
- 6 Paddy Davitt: City's bold call and the status quo
- 7 'He came crying' - Former coach details Giannoulis left-back conversion
- 8 Arsenal end chase in City star with Real Madrid signing
- 9 Connor Southwell: Sorting Todd’s contract is City’s next big mission
- 10 The story of Alex Neil and Jordan Hugill's trainers
“I praised Teemu a lot and also Max for his development, especially in his consistency. It is totally okay they receive individual awards, or at least be recognised on the short list. They deserve all the applause and the plaudits and the spotlight.
“But you need to handle it. I am pretty sure they will. They are so modest, with their feet on the ground.”
Pukki is up against fellow strikers Billy Sharp (Sheffield United) and Che Adams (Birmingham City), with Aarons shortlisted alongside Liverpool loanee Harry Wilson (Derby County) and James Justin (Luton Town).
The duo have already been selected for the Championship team-of-the-season, which also includes Jamal Lewis, in a poll conducted by the managers,
• Follow live coverage of the event on pinkun.com on Sunday evening with Michael Bailey