PRESSER LIVE: Luton Town v Norwich City - Quintilla out, Hernandez an injury doubt
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Daniel Farke previewed Norwich City’s first competitive game of the new season ahead of a League Cup trip to Luton Town - and we had all the key lines from a video chat with the boss at Colney.
The Canaries head to Kenilworth Road on Saturday missing 15 internationals, but Farke can still draw on the likes of new summer recruits Bali Mumba, Kieran Dowell and Jordan Hugill for the first round tie against their Championship rivals.
However, Xavi Quintilla is ruled out with what Farke labelled a ‘slight strain’ and Onel Hernandez remains a doubt with the groin problem that saw him miss the final pre-season friendlies against SV Darmstadt. Hernandez had not trained this week but if he comes through a Friday afternoon session will be part of the travelling contingent.
Farke did confirm Welsh Under-19 keeper Daniel Barden will make his competitive debut with Tim Krul and Michael McGovern on international duty.
City enjoyed an unbeaten pre-season run of results and had a productive week at their regular German tour base as they gear up for the league opener at Huddersfield Town on September 12.
You may also want to watch:
Aside from the international contingent, Grant Hanley and Sam Byram remain unavailable as they battle back from hamstring-related injuries.
Hanley is back in light training this week will not be considered for the league kick off while Byram is not expected to return before October’s international break.
- 1 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 2 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-1 Cardiff win
- 3 Paddy Davitt verdict: Relentless City operating on a different level
- 4 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 5 'My journey has been life-changing' - Cantwell reflects on three years since his City debut
- 6 Hugill stepped up when Norwich City needed him with determined display at Cardiff
- 7 Watch extended highlights of Norwich City's win at Cardiff
- 8 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 9 'We need to pull our weight' - City skipper relieved to end his goal drought
- 10 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
Emi Buendia is suspended after his red card at Burnley towards the end of last season, although the Argentine tweaked a groin that would have ruled him out in the closing days of last week’s German trip.
Josip Drmic is also suspended, but the Swiss international along with German midfield duo Moritz Leitner and Tom Trybull are not part of the plans for the new season.
Farke spoke to the media remotely from Colney.
• Recap the main points from the press call in the window above, with full reaction and build up to City’s League Cup bow throughout the day on pinkun.com