TEAM NEWS: Farke on Buendia timescale, Duda revelation and two fresh injuries
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Emi Buendia faces a race against time to be fit for Norwich City’s upcoming Premier League battles, after a quad injury ruled him out of the midweek trip to Tottenham.
Head coach Daniel Farke is also planning for the FA Cup trip to Burnley this weekend without the magical midfielder.
Buendia was again influential in the vital 1-0 home win over Bournemouth but Farke revealed at Colney on Tuesday City had been forced to admit defeat after concerted efforts to get him fit for Spurs.
"We tried everything we could in the last few days to get him ready and also he was on the training pitch today (Tuesday) to try it but there was no chance to sprint or do anything," said Farke. "I am pretty sure he will be probably out for the Burnley FA Cup game but the next league game we hope he is available. Our doctors and physios have to work pretty hard now.
"He is an important player for us and I would prefer to have him available."
You may also want to watch:
Buendia's absence will shift even more focus onto Ondrej Duda, after the Hertha Berlin attacking midfielder's impressive debut against the Cherries.
"We still have to build his fitness but his statistics when he came on the pitch against Bournemouth were pretty good," said Farke. "He covered an unbelievable distance, more than any other player, his tactical ability and his workload were pretty remarkable.
- 1 Farke makes a pact with City squad
- 2 TEAM NEWS: Rupp injury setback ahead of CIty's trip to Derby
- 3 'Our only concern' - Farke reveals City's promotion roadmap
- 4 Stiepermann opens up about health problems
- 5 Farke misses out on monthly award... Again
- 6 Norwich City transfer rumours: Prolific Greek international in Canaries' sights
- 7 City boss too busy to worry about his contract at the moment
- 8 Farke hopes 'outstanding' City midfielder can shake off injury issues
- 9 Farke on Canaries records, Rooney and respecting the Rams
- 10 Hanley a big fan of new City star
"It helped we could get him off in the final minutes so he rested a bit. He is capable to go further on but we have to be careful with him because he can play a crucial role for the whole season."
Ralf Fahrmann (knee) is also ruled out for Tottenham and Mario Vrancic (shin) had to cut short training on Tuesday. Ben Godfrey was already suspended for his red card against Bournemouth.
"Mario Vrancic took a knock in training on his shin and we don't think it's too bad but he had to go in," said Farke. "Ralf Fahrmann is not available. He felt some pain in his knee the last few days and Michael McGovern will be in the travelling squad. And of course Emi.
"I trust all my players. Now someone else gets a chance to shine. We know with Emi we are more competitive, with his ability to link the play and his ability to find creative solutions.
"A Jose Mourinho side is well structured and a player like Emi to find a small gap would definitely help."