Injured Emi Buendia set to re-join training next week after missing City’s Schalke 04 tour win
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Daniel Farke allyed fears Emi Buendia had picked up a longer term injury after sitting out Friday’s 2-1 friendly victory against Schalke 04 in Lotte.
Christoph Zimmermann (knee) is already ruled out for the start of the Premier League campaign while Ben Godfrey returned to action against the Bundesliga club after his ankle injury scare earlier on the tour.
Injured trio Louis Thompson, Mario Vrancic and Alex Tettey all had limited chance to impress on this trip while Timm Klose is yet to make his seasonal reappearance after a knee problem - but Buendia's absence was precautionary revealed Daniel Farke.
"During the training he rolled his ankle a bit," said the City head coach. "We don't think it is serious but we didn't want to take any chances for this game. He should be back in training at the start of next week. It was painful and the ankle was swollen but it doesn't look too bad now and I am hopeful he can join us pretty soon.
"Ben is a tough lad. He wanted to start and the physios were a bit concerned but we have some problems in the centre back position. He was capable of training on Thursday and the morning of the game. I was pleased to have him back. It was a top class performance.
You may also want to watch:
"It is always good to finish the training camp with a win. They were runners up in the Bundesliga two seasons ago so to win is good for the self confidence. A good result but if I am honest a couple of topics I was not happy about and we will speak about those but in general I can't blame the lads too much after 19 days in a row with no day off. It is quite good.
"We tried to give many lads minutes during this trip. Philip Heise had played a lot, Onel Hernandez and Dennis Srbeny had played 90 minutes so with the players available we had to handle the load. I always think we have a strong starting line up but those lads delivered.
- 1 City poised for Maddison cash boost
- 2 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries tracking Bosnia midfielder
- 3 Norwich City transfer rumours: Bordeaux winger on the radar
- 4 'Criminally underrated' - City ace a huge Euros miss for Villa star
- 5 Sinani ready for a scrap at City
- 6 Norwich City transfer rumours: Premier League forward in Canaries' sights
- 7 Buendia's Argentina call-up leaves Canaries in unfamiliar territory
- 8 Hit or miss? City's Premier League loan history
- 9 From Croatia to Iceland - the mixed fortunes of City's loan stable
- 10 Delia reveals Norwich squad's touching tribute to her late mother Etty
"I was not unbelievably happy with our possession and after the first 10 minutes gave the ball away too easily. We were solid in defence and strong on the counter but we changed our base formation to get more dominance of the game with our pressing and we did. The second topic was the effectiveness to use the chances.
"We did well to create them but on the top level you have to be more clinical but that happens when we are in training and not quite as sharp as you need to be."