Awards snub for Farke and Pukki in monthly Championship prizes
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City duo Daniel Farke and Teemu Pukki have avoided the dreaded monthly awards’ curse after missing out on the Championship manager and player-of-the-month respectively.
Sheffield United’s Chris Wilder was named February’s manager of the month in the second tier with Birmingham City frontman Che Adams edging out Pukki for the player award, in the view of the judging panel that comprised former Ipswich Town boss George Burley.
Farke has been nominated four times this season - winning the award in November - but lost out to Blades’ chief Wilder, who also saw off competition from former Norwich boss Alex Neil and City Hall of Famer Steve Bruce, who has had an immediate impact at Sheffield Wednesday.
Wilder guided his club to 13 points from 15 and four clean sheets, but the Blades remained in third place earlier this week after a goalless derby draw against the Owls.
Blues’ hitman Adams struck six goals in five games last month to see off Championship top scorer Pukki, Brentford’s Said Benrahma and Preston’s Ben Davies.
You may also want to watch:
But Pukki could earn some consolation after his second goal in the 4-0 win at Bolton was shortlisted for February’s Championship goal of the month.
City’s on-loan Reading striker Nelson Oliveira has also been nominated for a solo effort against Blackburn on February 13.
- 1 City striker seals Swindon loan move; Hugill injury boost
- 2 Lambert and Ipswich in crisis: Do you care, City fans?
- 3 Cantwell explains why he wears different coloured boots and why City is in his DNA
- 4 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
- 5 City midfielder returns to Norfolk after loan spell terminated
- 6 Placheta must kick on at City
- 7 Giannoulis deal proof City can navigate difficult transfer market
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Bushiri close to Eupen loan
- 9 City Q&A: Striker light - Your questions answered
- 10 'I was knocked for six' - Krul reveals difficulties of his Covid-19 recovery
Oliveira, however, faces up to a month on the sidelines after suffering a hamstring injury in last week’s 2-1 win at Ipswich Town.
Voting is now open on skysports.com for fans to cast their ballot and will close on Monday. Winners of the divisional goal of the month will be announced on March 15.