Canaries defender has emerged as one of the Championship’s pass masters
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
The impact of Ben Godfrey at Norwich City in recent months has been emphasised by the 21-year-old rising to the upper echelons of the Championship’s passing statistics.
Swansea defender Cameron Carter-Vickers is the only player to average a higher pass success percentage than Godfrey, who is in line to win his first England U20 cap against Poland this evening (7pm).
Statistics website WhoScored.com only include players with total appearances higher than the Championship average, with Godfrey now featuring after becoming a regular starter since Timm Klose’s injury in December, taking his total to 23 games.
USA international Carter-Vickers, also 21, averages 91.9 percent from 20 matches to sit just ahead of the Canaries defender, who’s on an impressive 88.5pc – reflecting the importance of possession to Daniel Farke’s league leaders.
City midfielder Tom Trybull is just behind as well, with 88.3pc from 25 matches placing him third, ahead of Leeds midfielder Adam Forshaw (88.2pc) and Aston Villa star Jack Grealish (87.8pc) – although Grealish has played the most minutes.
The next Norwich players in the pass success rankings are Mo Leitner (85.4pc) in 21st, a place above Alex Tettey (85.2pc), with injury contributing to both being on the fringes of the team in recent months.
Overall, the Canaries are actually fifth in the division for pass completion, on 78.8pc, with Swansea top (83.2pc) and Brentford (79.8pc), Aston Villa (79.5pc) and Leeds (79.2pc) also with a higher average – emphasising that safe use of the ball isn’t necessarily reflective of winning games.
It’s a similar story for average possession, with City third on 55pc, behind Leeds on 59.4pc and Brentford on 56.5pc.
The only stat that really matters to Farke is that his team are top, five points clear of third-placed Leeds with eight games remaining, still averaging the holy promotion grail of over two points per game with a hugely impressive 78 claimed from 38 matches.
- 1 CANARIES 2 BIRMINGHAM 2 (4-2 pens) - Key moments, ratings and stats
- 2 'No, he won't do it again' - Smith on Nunez's cheeky League Cup pen
- 3 Follow live updates of Norwich City v Birmingham
- 4 Sinani's first City strike years in the making
- 5 Carabao Cup: City loanee scores in cup shock; Canaries fan nets winner at Ipswich
- 6 Chris Sutton: Cantwell's City comeback could prove the making of him
- 7 Smith puts tribal loyalties on hold ahead of Blues cup clash
- 8 Paddy's Pointers: City 2-2 Blues (Norwich won 4-2 on pens)
- 9 Starting XIs: Gibbs, Sara and Tomkinson make full City debuts in cup
- 10 'Never do it the easy way!' - Fans react to City's penalty shoot-out cup win
PASS SUCCESS PERCENTAGE
• 1 Cameron Carter-Vickers (Swansea) – 14 (6) apps – 1,385 mins – 91.9pc
• 2 BEN GODFREY (NORWICH) – 18 (5) apps – 1,669 mins – 88.5pc
• 3 TOM TRYBULL (NORWICH) – 16 (9) apps – 1,455 mins – 88.3pc
• 4 Adam Forshaw (Leeds) – 16 (7) apps – 1,563 mins – 88.2pc
• 5 Jack Grealish (Aston Villa) – 25 apps – 2,161 mins – 87.8pc
• 6 Jack Colback (Nottm Forest) – 33 apps – 2,948 mins – 87.7pc
• 7 Ezri Konsa (Brentford) – 34 apps – 3,032 mins – 87.5pc
• 8 Chris Mepham (Brentford, now Bournemouth) – 22 apps – 1,911 mins – 87.3pc
• 9 Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa) – 29 (7) apps – 2,684 mins – 87pc
• 10 James Chester (Aston Villa) – 28 apps – 2,484 mins – 87pc