Canaries duo retain Northern Ireland roles for Euro 2020 qualifiers
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Norwich City duo Jamal Lewis and Michael McGovern have retained their places in the Northern Ireland squad for the approaching international break.
Michael O’Neill’s squad begin qualifying for the 2020 European Championship with home qualifiers against Estonia and Belarus.
City left-back Lewis has started five of Northern Ireland’s last six games, being rested for their last match, a 2-1 home defeat to Austria in the Uefa Nations League in November.
The 21-year-old was born and raised in England but qualifies for the Irish through his mother and has been capped six times since making his debut just over a year ago.
McGovern has 29 caps for his country and retains his place despite making just five cup appearances for Norwich this season, providing cover for Tim Krul in the Championship throughout the campaign.
You may also want to watch:
The 34-year-old has only made one appearance in Northern Ireland’s last nine matches, playing half of a 3-0 friendly win over Israel last September, but retains his place alongside Leeds youngster Bailey Peacock-Farrell and Celtic prospect Conor Hazard.
O’Neill’s team face Estonia at Belfast on Thursday, March 21 (7.45pm) and then Belarus, also at Windsor Park, on Sunday, March 24 (7.45pm). Germany and Holland are the other teams in Group C.
- 1 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 2 PRESSER LIVE: Cardiff City v Norwich City - Quintilla & Mumba test positive for Covid; Krul still out
- 3 'The Norwich fans are probably fuming' - Skipp on being Mr Popular
- 4 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 5 'Three Lungs' back in business
- 6 Solskjaer education and goalkeeping genetics pave way for City target Nyland
- 7 Drmic's Euro mission to seal City exit
- 8 'Best team in the league' - Harris raves about Canaries
- 9 Iwan Roberts: My Welsh wish for City keeper
- 10 Norwich loan has 'ticked every box' for Ben Gibson
Lewis has made 34 appearances for Norwich so far this season, remaining Daniel Farke’s first choice left-back other than for two brief injury interruptions.
The former Luton Town youth player only made his senior debut for City in December 2017 but his impressive emergence earned a new contract in October, extending terms until 2023.
McGovern featured for the Canaries’ under-23 team on Monday night to keep him sharp, playing all of a 2-2 draw with Stoke in Premier League Two at Colney.