Daniel Farke maps out why Emi Buendia is key to City’s Championship assault
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Emi Buendia can cause havoc on the Championship again for Norwich City.
The 23-year-old was touted with Premier League new boys Leeds at the start of this summer, and also a potential return to La Liga, but both the player and his head coach Daniel Farke hinted recently Buendia will still be here beyond next month’s transfer deadline.
A shin issue prompted a false start last weekend but the Argentine could come into contention for Sunday’s trip to Bournemouth now Kieran Dowell has been ruled out after undergoing ankle ligament surgery.
“I was optmistic the whole time this summer we could keep him. Right from the start of the window,” said Farke. “I was pleased with his behaviour during this period. He was quite humble and quite disciplined after his red card (against Burnley). He apologised in front of the group and from this moment he has worked very hard.
“After the short summer break he was physically in a top-class condition, his body weight, his fitness data were top class. Then it was sad we had this little setback on pre-season with his groin.
You may also want to watch:
“He can be an outstanding player for us. I have the feeling he is totally happy and committed to the group and so I am quite confident he can be on the same outstanding level as two years ago.
“Without any doubt he is full of potential and when he is fit he is one of the outstanding offensive players in this league.
- 1 Farke linked with Bundesliga vacancy
- 2 Transfer rumour: Everton unsure about price tag for City star
- 3 Paddy Davitt: 'Little old Norwich' tag is a poor fit
- 4 'We want to stop the party' - Cherries fired up for City clash
- 5 Pompey boss praises 'perfect model' at Norwich City
- 6 City confirm fans will not return to Carrow Road this season
- 7 Ian Clarke: Seven reasons why Norwich City will survive in top flight
- 8 'Auld Enemy' clash on the backburner for City captain
- 9 'Like a shield' - Canaries boss heaps praise on Webber's work
- 10 Farke's dilemma with City prodigies
“When he is fully fit and in his rhythm he can bring even our game to another level. He can be the icing on the cake for us. He has proved this in the title winning season with many goals, many assists, many key passes. If he is fully fit he will play for us, but we have to be careful with the expectations right now.
“He was suspended for three games, then missed the first two competitive games of this season and our last pre-season friendly with a groin issue and we had this issue before the Preston game.”