‘These teams will kill you’ - City star Buendia on mixing it in the Premier League
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City talisman Emi Buendia admits the Canaries’ 4-1 Premier League opening night defeat at Liverpool was a rude awakening to the big time.
Buendia served up an assist for Teemu Pukki's second half reply but the damage was already done in a brutal early onslaught at Anfield.
But the Argentine maestro is confident Daniel Farke's squad will prove fast learners as they gear up for a Carrow Road homecoming against Newcastle United this weekend.
"You're walking into the tunnel 4-0 down and just thinking 'Gah!' All that work to get to the Premier League and then, all of a sudden, it is four," he said, speaking to the Athletic. "In the moment, you start thinking 'This could be eight or even 10.' Liverpool did not seem in the mood to stop. I just thought 'Let's get in to the dressing room and talk.'
"The Premier League is a higher level. The fewer errors we commit, the better chance we have. These teams will kill you otherwise. Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United - but Wolves, Everton too. In the Premier League, we have to be fully concentrated from the moment we enter the stadium to the second we leave.
You may also want to watch:
"The second half was so important. We competed, scored a goal and did not concede. It re-established morale and showed we have the level to keep developing. Let's not forget they are the European champions.
"I like our spirit. The club said they would not do anything crazy with the money this summer. They would not set out to do what Fulham did last year. Aston Villa have spent a huge amount. It is a different perspective. (Aston) Villa have said 'We need X, Y, Z' and did it.
- 1 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 2 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits
- 3 'I am really happy here' - City star Buendia not worried about speculation
- 4 Paddy Davitt verdict: I'll have a P please City
- 5 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 6 'Big Six' join European Super League 24 hours after City's promotion
- 7 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 8 'Good riddance' - Norwich fans react to European Super League plans
- 9 Six things you might have missed after City's promotion party
- 10 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
"We trust in the group that has taken us this far.
"In the Championship, we lost only six games and took 96 points. Do not underestimate how difficult that is.
"We know we need to grow but we feel strong and we will fight, believe me."