‘These teams will kill you’ - City star Buendia on mixing it in the Premier League
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City talisman Emi Buendia admits the Canaries’ 4-1 Premier League opening night defeat at Liverpool was a rude awakening to the big time.
Buendia served up an assist for Teemu Pukki's second half reply but the damage was already done in a brutal early onslaught at Anfield.
But the Argentine maestro is confident Daniel Farke's squad will prove fast learners as they gear up for a Carrow Road homecoming against Newcastle United this weekend.
"You're walking into the tunnel 4-0 down and just thinking 'Gah!' All that work to get to the Premier League and then, all of a sudden, it is four," he said, speaking to the Athletic. "In the moment, you start thinking 'This could be eight or even 10.' Liverpool did not seem in the mood to stop. I just thought 'Let's get in to the dressing room and talk.'
"The Premier League is a higher level. The fewer errors we commit, the better chance we have. These teams will kill you otherwise. Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United - but Wolves, Everton too. In the Premier League, we have to be fully concentrated from the moment we enter the stadium to the second we leave.
You may also want to watch:
"The second half was so important. We competed, scored a goal and did not concede. It re-established morale and showed we have the level to keep developing. Let's not forget they are the European champions.
"I like our spirit. The club said they would not do anything crazy with the money this summer. They would not set out to do what Fulham did last year. Aston Villa have spent a huge amount. It is a different perspective. (Aston) Villa have said 'We need X, Y, Z' and did it.
- 1 Why a Premier League gamble makes no sense for Farke
- 2 Onel Hernandez reveals reason he got a Norwich City tattoo
- 3 Former City coach departs Ipswich Town
- 4 'I have to say I had more than one tear in my eye' - choked Farke on City duo's exit
- 5 PRESSER LIVE: Barnsley v City - No fresh injuries. Skipp and Pukki will be part of celebrations
- 6 Why Norwich City won't be a soft touch in the Premier League
- 7 Norwich City transfer rumours: Cardiff man once again linked
- 8 'Perfection' - Dowell on getting back to the big time with Canaries
- 9 Rosenborg set for talks with Tettey
- 10 When will Norwich City learn their Premier League fixtures?
"We trust in the group that has taken us this far.
"In the Championship, we lost only six games and took 96 points. Do not underestimate how difficult that is.
"We know we need to grow but we feel strong and we will fight, believe me."