Canaries exit cup: report

Norwich City Ladies 1, Yeovil Ladies 3Following last weekend's postponement of the FA Cup fourth round fixture against Yeovil Town Ladies due to the weather it was a relief for the City Ladies to be given the go ahead at the second attempt.

Norwich City Ladies 1, Yeovil Ladies 3

Following last weekend's postponement of the FA Cup fourth round fixture against Yeovil Town Ladies due to the weather it was a relief for the City Ladies to be given the go ahead at the second attempt.

Both sides knew very little of each other, other than holding similar standings in their respective Combination Leagues.

City started the stronger with an attack down the left by Shorten who cut in and with a well-executed pass found Chelsea Garrett out on the other flank.

The speedy winger then drove towards the penalty area, but before she could release her shot a Yeovil defender thwarted her attempt with a well-timed tackle.

It was then Yeovil's turn to test the City defence and they looked very dangerous when they pushed forward, but the defence stood strong.

Most Read

City then pushed forward and good play resulted in the home side being awarded their first corner of the game, but this was easily cleared by the Yeovil defence.

Nine minutes into the game Garrett picked the ball up from just inside her half and confidently took two players on.

This resulted in a pass to Jodie Drake who then found Nic Bray, who in turn held the ball up before laying off to Drake for a shot at goal.

The Yeovil keeper could only palm the resulting shot away, and it fell nicely to Shorten, who had made a run to the back post, who slotted the ball home.

Further pressure from City saw Bray being issued with the first yellow card of the game, for a late challenge on the Yeovil keeper. This resulted in the keeper not playing any further part in the game and having to be replaced.

Yeovil continued to push forward for the equaliser and the Norwich and brave defending first from Jemma Smythe and then from Kate Parsons ensured that City would head into the half with the advantage.

The second half saw Yeovil come out from the start all guns a blazing and we starting to take charge of the game. Constant pressure on the City defence eventually led to a Yeovil corner. A good delivery seemed to elude every player including Holly Clarke in goal for Norwich, leaving the simplest of tap-ins for the Yeovil forward to make it 1-1.

Within minutes of the restart Yeovil stormed forward again and a fine save by Clarke with her feet kept the score level.

City were under a considerable amount of pressure and will feel themselves very unlucky not to have retained the lead when a City corner was met with a thunderous header from Smythe that seemed to have travelled over the keeper's hands and across the line, with the linesman waving away the City appeals.

City were starting to find it difficult to keep control of the game and were punished when in the 52nd minutes a Yeovil player was given the opportunity to send a high looping shot over the City defence and pass the stranded Clarke in goal to make it 2-1.

Gaps were starting to appear in the solid City team and frustration was also starting to come to light when Shorten lost possession and on trying to regain was issued a yellow card for a late challenge on a Yeovil player.

The game continued to swing from end to end with chances for both teams but neither side being able to create a clear-cut opportunity.

Then Yeovil played a good move from one corner of the area to the other, resulting in a player being totally unmarked and free to place a shot up and over Clarke.

City had no choice but to throw everything into the last few minutes, Drake and Gemma Farman were withdrawn to make way for Bex Burton and Nikita Morris.

City were once again left wondering when good work resulted in Shorten finding herself in the area and when she looked odds on to shoot seemed to be hindered from behind but the referee waved play on.

To cap off a miserable result, Garrett was dismissed with a straight red, after she retaliated following what looked like a two-foot challenge on the winger.

City must pick themselves up and reflect on a run that has seen the side progress to the fourth round of the Women's FA Cup, flying the flag not only for Norwich but for Norfolk as well.