Canaries extend Cantwell contract but confirm exits of Naismith, Jarvis and Wildschut
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Steven Naismith, Matt Jarvis and Yanic Wildschut are among the players that Norwich City have confirmed will be leaving the club this summer – with the one-year option taken up on Todd Cantwell’s contract as expected.
There are few surprises on the club's annual retained list, with Naismith, Jarvis and Wildschut all having been out on loan during this season.
The confirmation that their contracts will expire this summer brings an end to costly and largely unsuccessful moves for the trio though, with one-cap England international Jarvis a long-term injury victim.
The Canaries had already announced that eight academy youngsters would be leaving the club this summer but the senior players whose contracts will not be renewed are now also confirmed.
The key contract issue for City was settled on Monday evening when it was announced that Switzerland international defender Timm Klose would be staying and had signed a new contract until 2022.
The only other issue surrounded academy product Cantwell, who made the breakthrough under Daniel Farke during the current title-winning season, however the Canaries have confirmed they have activated the one-year option in the 21-year-old midfielder's contract.
Another academy youngster, defender Timi Odusina, has also had the one-year option in his contract activated - fresh from helping National League side AFC Fylde to win the FA Trophy at Wembley on Sunday.
City had already confirmed that Ivo Pinto was leaving and the right-back has since returned to former club Dinamo Zagreb in Croatia.
However, the following players are not getting new contracts...
You may also want to watch:
Signed as part of the January transfer window splurge as former manager Alex Neil and chief executive David McNally desperately tried to keep City in the Premier League during 2015-16.
- 1 City draw up target list
- 2 Skipp ready for Premier League ... with Spurs, says Mason
- 3 Gunn and Walton on City watch list as Nyland future remains unclear
- 4 Robin Sainty: Where City lead, others will surely follow
- 5 Former Canaries attacker released by Bristol City
- 6 New City deal for Farke on the cards and Webber open to staying
- 7 Pain and anguish but never a lack of belief for Canaries' chief
- 8 City step up Skipp Spurs chase
- 9 The People's Pink Un: Your messages to Norwich City, Part 1
- 10 Ipswich Town youngster told he can leave - could City revive interest?
A reported £8.5m deal was struck with Everton and the Scotland international scored on his debut, a fine finish during a chaotic 5-4 defeat to Liverpool at Carrow Road.
Just eight goals in 48 games followed though as City slipped to relegation and has spent the last 18 months on loan in Scotland with Hearts, with Norwich understood to still be paying the majority of his top-level wages.
Has scored 18 in 43 games for the Edinburgh side and regained his international place, only to suffer a knee injury in March which ended his season early.
Reports this weekend suggested Naismith's former club, Everton, and Wildschut's former club, Wigan, are both set to benefit from £1million bonuses following Norwich's promotion - despite both not being involved this season.
Former Wolves and Gillingham winger was initially signed on loan from West Ham during 2015-16 and made a bright start but injured his knee after seven games.
City had seen enough to persuade them to pay a reported £2.5m in January 2016 and a further 14 games followed as Neil's team slumped to relegation.
A 3-0 loss at Everton in May 2016 proved to be Jarvis' final appearance though due to two seasons of knee and ankle problems, eventually returning to U23 action and earning a loan move to Walsall in January of this year.
Nine appearances in League One followed before another ankle injury, leaving the 32-year-old facing an uncertain future. Leaves with two goals in 21 games to his name for Norwich.
Another big-money signing which didn't work out, with Neil forking out for a deal reportedly worth up to £7m in January 2017 during the latter stages of his reign.
The Dutch winger had been performing well in League One for Wigan but never really made the grade at City, scoring twice in 29 games in total.
Had chances to impress during Daniel Farke's first season before spending time on the fringes of Cardiff's successful promotion push on loan.
The speedy 27-year-old made a strong start to this season's loan at Bolton, scoring twice in three games, but has been hampered by an ankle injury and not added to his 18 appearances since December.
- Players being released
Pierre Fonkeu (U23)
Tristan Abrahams (U23)
Louis McIntosh (U23)
Bilal Kamal (U23)
Spencer Keller (U18)
Finlay Barnes (U18)
Ryan Dickerson (U18)
Aaron Ekumah (U18)
- Players leaving after the end of their loan deals
- Players who have had one-year options exercised
Timi Odusina (U23)
- Players who have been offered professional deals
Shae Hutchinson (U18)
Connor Parsons (U18)
Anis Mehmeti (U18)