Norwich City hit with £25,000 FA fine for part in Ipswich Town derby day brawl
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City have been fined £25,000 after being found guilty by the FA for failing to control their personnel in the 3-0 Championship derby win over Ipswich Town.
The club confirmed the punishment on Thursday morning following the completion of the FA’s investigation into the ugly spat that marred the Canaries’ latest East Anglian derby victory earlier this month.
Ipswich Town were also fined £20,000, while Paul Lambert was hit with a two-match touchline ban and a £3,000 fine after accepting a separate improper conduct charge. The Scot was sent off by the referee for his part in the melee sparked by Jon Nolan’s first half tackle on Max Aarons.
Norwich’s club fine is higher than Town’s due to the Canaries’ historic record in relation to previous incidents regarding a failure to control players and officials. City were previously fined following incidents in games against QPR and Sunderland in 2016.
An FA statement read: “Norwich City have been fined £25,000 and Ipswich Town have been fined £20,000 after accepting a charge for failing to ensure their players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion during both the 45th and 90th minutes, as well as their officials in the 45th minute, of their Championship fixture on February 10, 2019.
You may also want to watch:
“In addition, Paul Lambert has been given a two-match touchline ban, effective immediately, and fined £3,000 after he also accepted an FA improper conduct charge concerning his behaviour in the 45th minute of the fixture.”
Lambert and Norwich’s head of performance, Chris Domogalla were red carded following the flashpoint, while Lambert had to be restrained by a steward and a police officer following a verbal spat with City’s goalkeeping coach, Ed Wootten.
- 1 Cantwell opens up on his Norwich City future
- 2 'He was brilliant' - City ace hails winger's impact during latest win
- 3 Norwich City and the Soccerbot360: The inside track on why Canaries want the £750,000 aid
- 4 Ex-City striker Jerome reveals late January bid from Cardiff
- 5 Wycombe have 'nothing to fear' against table toppers, says Ainsworth
- 6 The Canaries' trip to Forest subject to updated kick-off time
- 7 Farke sets promotion points target
- 8 An unhappy anniversary for this Norwich City fan
- 9 City want to bring 2,000 fans back for Championship run in
- 10 City number one on Nyland's arrival and Barden's bright future
The City Hall of Famer did not appeal his improper conduct charge but sent a letter to the Football Associating outlining the mitigating circumstances surrounding his dismissal.
“There was no point appealing because I wasn’t going to win but I have had my say about what when on and I stand by every word,” said Lambert, quoted on Ipswich’s official site.
“I’ll get on with it now. It’s not ideal but I trust my staff to do what I ask them to do. There will be no problem there.
“Will it make a difference, not being on the touchline? I don’t know. I can talk to the players before the game and after. They will know what is expected of them.”