The Norwich City debate - What next?
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
No football but no shortage of talking points involving Norwich City as the game tries to deal with the coronavirus shutdown. Paddy and Connor discussed the key points with fans.
Stuart Webber labelled last week a ‘sad’ one for football, with the financial impact now hitting every aspect of the industry.
City and a number of other top flight clubs have been criticised for opting to furlough some non-playing members of staff, while the unresolved issue of player wage deferrals has now embroiled politicians as well as the wider public.
Webber’s point to Jake Humphrey on BT Sport on Saturday underscored the players can only proceed with a common position agreed by the PFA, Premier League and other bodies.
We await further developments in the coming days. But City’s squad have already instigated a move to donate £200,000 to individuals and charities impacted by the global pandemic.
You may also want to watch:
Grant Hanley and the rest do not know when, or if, they can resume their top flight and FA Cup quest. The Premier League’s stated position is they will only return when it is ‘safe and appropriate to do so’.
Burnley made it clear at the weekend no resumption would leave a £50m deficit in lost matchday revenue and broadcast payments. Webber also spoke about difficult days ahead for his club, who hope their self-sustainable model can help mitigate some of the financial fallout.
- 1 Could Canaries benefit from Chelsea appointing Tuchel?
- 2 Former Arsenal and Norwich midfielder set to sign for Saints
- 3 Soto's striker instinct is clear - now he needs to prove it at Norwich City
- 4 Arsenal end chase in City star with Real Madrid signing
- 5 Paddy Davitt: City's bold call and the status quo
- 6 'He's been great for me' - Hanley grateful to Farke for making him a better player
- 7 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
- 8 'Lots to learn ' - Busy spell continues as City striker makes Swindon debut
- 9 The story of Alex Neil and Jordan Hugill's trainers
- 10 'You just want more' - McLean settled at City and focused on top-flight return
• Recap what was discussed with Paddy and Connor in the window above.