WATCH: Canaries fan takes to the streets in Helsinki with the Pukki Party in full swing
- Credit: AP
Teemu Pukki’s goal-scoring heroics have sent Finland wild, with the Norwich City star and his international team-mates sparking delirious scenes on the streets of Helsinki – with a Norfolk native among those partying.
Canaries supporter Matthew Paines, originally from Thetford and a former Wymondham College pupil, watched Finland beat Liechtenstein 3-0 at the Woolshed sports bar in the Finnish capital.
Mr Paines works as a translator from his time living in Japan, where he met his wife. After moving to Helsinki five years ago for his wife's work with a Japanese airline the couple have settled into life in Finland.
"It's a party atmosphere in Helsinki tonight, there's almost as much green and yellow as there is blue and white," said Mr Paines. "From the Norwich City concession in Kamppi Square to the giant screen in Oodi, the Finns have a lot of love for Norwich."
He added: "Finland beat Canada 3-1 in ice hockey world championships back in May, this is Finland's most popular sport and most pundits said football could never match ice hockey for excitement. But Helsinki is putting on a fine show for Pukki tonight."
You may also want to watch:
After seeing Finland seal their first ever qualification for a major football tournament, the 2020 European Championship, with Pukki scoring twice in the win, Mr Paines joined the thousands of Finns taking to the streets to savour the special occasion.
He concluded: "At moments of national celebration, Finns say 'Torille!', 'To the square!'. In Norwich that would be Anglia Square, but here it's Senate Square - which by a stunning coincidence happens to be on the toddle home from the pub for your humble correspondent. So, let's go see how the Finns celebrate Norwich's win!"
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Hornets frustrate City in title tussle
- 2 City ace Krul reflects on Premier League interest
- 3 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 defeat against Watford
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Watford defeat
- 5 Farke laments 'average' City display in Watford defeat
- 6 'Blown away' - Gibson reveals how City wooed him for Premier League push
- 7 Transfer rumour: Canaries interested in Celtic defender
- 8 QPR forced to deny manager is leaving ahead of City clash
- 9 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
- 10 Hanley insists winning title 'means everything' to Canaries
- Take a look at the video above for an insight into the Pukki Party - and keep scrolling to see more of the reaction to the victory