Norwich City derby team news: Daniel Farke weighs up whether to unleash Nelson Oliveira on Ipswich Town
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Daniel Farke delivered a double injury boost ahead of Norwich’s City Championship derby at Ipswich.
Marco Stiepermann has returned to full training this week after a calf injury while Josh Murphy is also back in training after breaking a toe prior to the international break.
Farke, speaking at Colney on Friday afternoon, is also confident Nelson Oliveira is in the right shape to start at Portman Road after a couple of notable cameos following a groin injury.
Oliveira stoked up the derby atmosphere with his comments regarding City’s perceived superiority last weekend which drew a rebuke from Town captain Luke Chambers, but the striker underlined his value to the Canaries with a 96th equaliser to peg back the Tigers.
“Nelson has trained all week but although he still feels pain sometimes he is in a better position,” said Farke. “He will certainly be able to play for longer than he did against Hull, but we’ll have to see whether he’s 100pc to be able to start. Cameron Jerome and Nelson are very different strikers. Cameron is great in the air, works a lot and gives the young lads confidence. Nelson is blessed with brilliant ability and is brilliant in finishing positions.
“Sometimes you need both of them on the pitch, like at the end against Hull City. We have really good quality in our striking positions – and Marley Watkins was brilliant against Brentford – and although Nelson is back we’re still looking forward to having him at 100pc so they’re both full fit as they’re both big threats.
You may also want to watch:
“Marco has trained all week and Josh in the last two days and he should be available for at least the bench but it depends on how his toe reacts in the next two days. It’s good we should have more offensive options than we did against Hull.”
Russell Martin is on duty for the Under-23s on Friday night and will not be risked while Steven Naismith (ankle) is targeting a return to the first team fold at the end of next week. Alex Tettey (calf) is definitely ruled out of the trip to Portman Road, along with Marley Watkins, who serves the second of a three-match suspension.
- 1 Candid Cantwell opens up on struggles during 'whirlwind' summer
- 2 Dowell pledge from City boss
- 3 Lee Payne: Bruce has got it wrong over Norwich City and Premier League
- 4 Farke's dilemma with City prodigies
- 5 Robbie Savage: 'Never mind Stuart Webber, it's all down to me'
- 6 City defender likened to a 'young Rio Ferdinand'
- 7 Ex-City star Murphy boosts hopes of new deal
- 8 Former City loanee set for new deal at Borussia Dortmund
- 9 Police interviews and faulty planes - the inside track on Onel's Cuba bow
- 10 City Q&A: One down. One to go
Alex Pritchard, Jamal Lewis, Louis Thompson and Matt Jarvis remain longer term injury absentees.
• Re-live the main lines from the press conference via the window.