Ding ding. Seconds out. Chris Sutton hits back at ‘ill-informed’ Craig Bellamy jibes as former Norwich City strikers clash
- Credit: Archant
In the green corner. Chris Sutton. A former Norwich City player-of-the-year who earned a big-money move to Blackburn and a Premier League winner’s medal before eight more trophies in a decorated spell at Celtic.
In the yellow corner. Craig Bellamy. Another highly-rated attacker who graced Carrow Road and once shared a Parkhead dressing room with Sutton. Bellamy won trophies with Liverpool, Cardiff and the Hoops and played for the likes of Newcastle and Manchester City as well as won 78 Welsh caps.
But there appears no love lost between the one-time Canaries’ forwards, after Sutton hit back at Bellamy’s claims earlier this week current Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers will struggle to get a job in the Premier League, despite his record-breaking exploits in Glasgow.
“Brendan Rodgers couldn’t have done any more than he did with Celtic last season,” Bellamy told Paddy Power News. “His reputation of a great coach is there, but getting one of the top jobs again in the Premier League might be difficult for him. Mainly because, and I found this out during my time in Scotland, it doesn’t matter what you do up there – no one cares.”
Sutton called Bellamy’s comments ‘ill-informed’ during a stint as a BT Sport pundit on Thursday’s Scottish League Cup tie between Motherwell and Aberdeen while Rodgers, himself, has already reacted to Bellamy’s verdict.
You may also want to watch:
“I am not here to boost a CV and get a job in England - I am here because of Celtic,” he told the Daily Record. “I respect Craig, he is very passionate about his life, very passionate about his football. Seeing some of the comments I am not sure it is meant in that way but if it is, then ok.
“I am not here to worry about my next job, my only worry is Celtic and that is what I am paid to do.”
- 1 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 2 City Q&A - with Paddy Davitt
- 3 Gill recalls 'surreal' derby Day encounter
- 4 Former City coach explains why he joined Ipswich Town
- 5 David Freezer: Perfect transfer strategy key to City's self-funded survival model
- 6 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries keen on Cherries ace
- 7 City ace left out of Euro 2020 opener
- 8 Ex-Norwich striker signs for Carlisle United
- 9 Norwich City transfer rumours: Leeds also interested in Gunn
- 10 A-Z: Time for a clear-out at Burnley?
• Click on the video to watch Sutton’s scathing put down and cast your vote for which ex-City stalwart is right.