'Thought more clubs might learn from Norwich' - Lineker hails Canaries with Wilder on the brink
- Credit: Michael Sedgwick/Focus Images Ltd
Match of the Day host and former England striker Gary Lineker has urged clubs to follow Norwich City's lead and stick with their manager, amid rising speculation Chris Wilder is set to leave Sheffield United.
The Blades' chief, who has had some epic tussles with Daniel Farke's Canaries in recent seasons, is reportedly tipped to leave his role on Friday with the Yorkshire club looking set for a return to the Championship.
Wilder guided his hometown team to a superb ninth placed finish last season in the Premier League, after coming up with the Canaries, but the Blades are now 13 points from safety following a calamitous second top flight campaign.
The likes of Eddie Howe and Frank Lampard have already been installed as early front runners to replace Wilder.
Match of the Day pundit Lineker has already taken to Twitter to express his surprise to his 7.8m followers.
Norwich opted to retain Farke following relegation and look on course to replace the Blades in the top division next season.
The Canaries have a 10-point lead at the top of the Championship ahead of this weekend's fixtures.
- 1 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 4 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits
- 5 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 6 Paddy Davitt verdict: I'll have a P please City
- 7 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
- 8 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 9 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 10 'Big Six' join European Super League 24 hours after City's promotion