Canaries get set for new season
Norwich City Ladies started their pre-season by welcoming National Premier League outfit Watford to Plantation Park. The young city side, who play in the SE Combination, took the game to the Hertfordshire side right from the kick-off and much to the visitors' surprise City found themselves 3-0 up through Chelsea Garrett and young Charlie Branch who was making her first team debut.
Norwich City Ladies face tough opposition in their final pre-season game this Sunday.
They travel to London to play Charlton, who play in the tier above City in the league pyramid.
The SE Combination side is gearing up for the new season, which starts on August 15, and they hope it will end with promotion to the National League.
Joint manager Emma Fletcher said: “Preparations for the start of the season on August 15 are going really well. The girls have been working hard in training - with so many talented youngsters coming through the Girls Centre of Excellence competition is in all positions and that keeps the girls on their toes!"
You may also want to watch:
The Canaries started their pre-season a few weeks ago by welcoming National Premier League outfit Watford to Plantation Park.
The young city side took the game to the Hertfordshire side right from the kick-off and much to the visitors' surprise City found themselves 3-0 up through Chelsea Garrett and young Charlie Branch who was making her first team debut.
- 1 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 2 PROMOTION LIVE: Cherries and red card ruin City's party
- 3 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 4 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 5 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 6 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 7 'Mission Accomplished' - Norwich City fans celebrate promotion
- 8 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 9 Operation Bounce Back: The story of City's promotion success
- 10 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
Several changes were made and this seemed to let Watford back in the game and they came back to score four and secure a 4-3 win.
Fletcher said: “We were a little disappointed that we didn't get anything score wise out of the game but at the same time we demonstrated we are more than capable of mixing with the best.”
Last weekend the ladies travelled to Birmingham to play Leafield Athletic who play in the Midlands Combination.
Whilst the Canaries had a few absentees due to holidays and work commitments and also fielding a reserve side they had a good run out and finished 2-1 winners, goal scorers Hayley Peverely and Nikitta Morris.
Joint manager Emma Fletcher said after the game: "Pre-season is all about getting players minutes on the pitch.
“They had to dig deep due to low numbers but to see such a young side gelling together it would have helped their preparation for the new season and that is important.”
The reserves also travelled to Birmingham and had a reverse scoreline to the first team, losing 2-1 with the consolation goal coming from Bridie Hipperson.
They too will be traveling to Charlton this weekend and facing a reserve side. With their season starting a week later than the first team they have a further friendly against Leverstock Green.