Tough love from Farke helps Idah inspire City to a 1-0 win over Huddersfield Town
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Adam Idah came off the bench to fire Norwich City to an opening day Championship victory at Huddersfield after harsh words from Daniel Farke for his performances in training during the week.
Idah made his senior international debut for the Republic of Ireland over the past fortnight but Farke revealed he was less than impressed with the young striker’s lack of focus ahead of the big kick off.
But Idah was preferred to West Ham signing Jordan Hugill for the closing stages and responded within five minutes of his late arrival to sweep home Teemu Pukki’s calm cutback.
“I will let you into a little secret. I was not happy at all with Adam’s performances in training this week,” said Farke. “There were some harsh words and even an outburst from me. But I showed faith in him to bring him on and he showed what he is all about. Michael McGovern came to me at the end and said he had also spoken to Adam. That is what I want to see from the experienced players in my squad.
“Jordan would have been disappointed not to play any minutes but at the end the first thing he did was go over and give Adam a hug and also celebrate with Teemu. The same for Ben Gibson or Alex Tettey.
You may also want to watch:
“I am so pleased for all the lads. This was not about Adam, even though he will get some headlines. This was a win for the whole group. I knew how tough it would be. Huddersfield pressed us very well and we had to work hard but we kept our composure and to get that first win will do a lot for the group.
“It is a victory for the fans as much as the players and we wish they were with us in the stadium.”
- 1 Why a Premier League gamble makes no sense for Farke
- 2 Onel Hernandez reveals reason he got a Norwich City tattoo
- 3 Norwich City transfer rumours: Cardiff man once again linked
- 4 Former City coach departs Ipswich Town
- 5 PRESSER LIVE: Barnsley v City - No fresh injuries. Skipp and Pukki will be part of celebrations
- 6 Why Norwich City won't be a soft touch in the Premier League
- 7 Rosenborg set for talks with Tettey
- 8 'I have to say I had more than one tear in my eye' - choked Farke on City duo's exit
- 9 'Perfection' - Dowell on getting back to the big time with Canaries
- 10 ‘It’s me, it’s Tettey’ - Canaries legend's best quotes